Masters in Applied/Industrial Math

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
meowmix

Masters in Applied/Industrial Math

Post by meowmix » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:56 pm

I am taking the test in April and will probably get a 75% score. I also still do not know what schools to apply for a Masters in Applied/Industrial Math. Any suggestions?

May I suggest high doses of Red Bull and/or coffee for people who can not finish early enough. I tried it with a practice test and finished with 40 minutes to spare.

zombie

Post by zombie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:33 pm

40 minutes to spare is quite impressive, although I finished with 170 minutes to spare (I didn't get any right or any wrong though. I didn't practice the test that day)

I really cannot wait to have this test over and done with (with a respectable score of course). These GREs have very very little to do with the actual process of studying higher mathematics in a masters or phd program.

It's like enjoying mathematics as an undergraduate is enjoying the occasional beer. The GRE test expects us to shotgun 66 beers in under 3 hours! (No wonder I feel drunk after completing these practice tests)

Anyway, I must admit though, that studying for this test has been a wonderful review of all of these subjects... It has given me a true appreciation of how vast of a subject mathematics really is.

Are you an engineer looking for schools in applied/industrial? I'm progressing towards mathematical/theoretical physics.

meowmix

Post by meowmix » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:18 pm

I am a chemical engineering and mathematics major at Michigan State University. I became interested in applied math since I work with a lot of graduate students tutoring at my school. To me, it is fun to explain the natural world with mathematics.

I am not required by most schools to take this test but it seems like too much "fun" to pass up. I am having to teach myself a few of the topics just because I am not taking them until next year but I am kind of excited for it. Going back and reviewing all the material I never fully understood has been fun and rewarding.

But if you go to any of these schools: Univ. Minnesota, University Delaware, UIUC, Ohio State, or Purdue, how do you like them?

zombie

Post by zombie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:32 pm

I have a masters in Political Science from UIUC. I didn't enjoy Political Science more so than I didn't enjoy Champaign/Urbana. It's a nice place to live if you like semi-rural, yet cultural Midwestern cities.

One semester, I taught discussion sections in the mathematics building, Altgeld Hall, and it's somewhat worn down, but not as much as the Social Science building. Other than that, I know very little about the Mathematics department there.

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:30 pm

But if you go to any of these schools: Univ. Minnesota, University Delaware, UIUC, Ohio State, or Purdue, how do you like them?
For applied math, Yale, Cornell and Brown are very good universities

From my experience of taking GRE Math, I solved all the sample tests within permitted time but I did not finish the real test in time, I left some questions unfilled. The real one is much harder, there were many "word questions" and I hate those

My recommendation is : do problems in REA GRE math practice tests http://www.amazon.com/GRE-Mathematics-R ... 878916377-, you will see many question as "tricky" as questions in the book

zombie

Post by zombie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:01 pm

I have the 1991 revised printing of the 1989 edition of the REA book. I agree that the tests are challenging and make for good exercises working up to the actual exam.

I'm somewhat certain that if I were to buy the newest edition, I would only stand to gain the math review section since the tests appear to be an exact reprint. I doubt the review section would offer anything new.

I'm looking at many different schools. I hope to get into a place like Columbia or Northwestern, but my numbers might fall a bit short.

Has anyone heard good/bad things about Michigan (Ann Arbor) or Iowa (Iowa City)?

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:56 pm

Has anyone heard good/bad things about Michigan (Ann Arbor) or Iowa (Iowa City)?
The schools or the cities?
School wise UofM is pretty good, with a strong rep outside of the mathematics world.