Please recommend schools

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
eelsir

Please recommend schools

Post by eelsir » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi All,

So... I got a 730 (72%) on the GRE math subject test.
I have a B.S. in physics from one of the top schools in the US with a GPA of 3.7/5.0.

I have also taken graduate level classes abroad in engineering and statistics with a GPA of 3.7/4.3.

Right now, I'm taking graduate level classes in real analysis, abstract algebra, and mathematical methods in science (basically linear algebra) in the US.

In addition, I am the third author in a material's science paper on multi-scale modeling that will be submitted for review within the next month.

My letters of recommendation will be coming from the professors who are currently teaching the classes I am taking, and the first author of the paper I am working on.

I'm not sure which schools I may have a chance of getting into and which ones I should give up for sure.

Could someone give me a realistic range of which schools I should be looking at?

Also, does it hurt to list "undecided" for specific field of interest in the applications?

Thanks in advance.

moo5003

Post by moo5003 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:04 pm

I'm having the same questions myself. What I believe I will end up doing and I suggest you do something similar is to apply to 5-8 schools and range them from reach/average/backup.

You stats are impressive though I'm unsure how graduate math views taking in physics majors. As long as you have the core courses Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Linear Algebra, Possibly Complex Analysis, and sometimes (rarely) topology. You should be fine.

I wouldnt be surprised if the top 15 math departments accepted you. Thus make those your reach schools (choose based on department focus (what do you want to do?) and the research being done).

eelsir

Post by eelsir » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks nameless and moo5003.

I really appreciate your comments.

Goodluck to both of you!