Where do I start from

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ILoveMath

Where do I start from

Post by ILoveMath » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:33 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm a recent CS graduate , and currently work as a Computer Programmer ,but want to return to grad school and need to take the GRE Math Subject Test. I've seen the sample test on GRE website but need to have the list of tiopics I need to master for the test (or any good study material) as I can see that the questions cover different areas in Math(some which I'm not familiar with).

Also I'd like to seek advice on average preparation times for the test.

Thank you.

ILoveMath

zombie

Post by zombie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:29 am

I am a recent Mathematics grad who is taking courses in CS these days while I studying for the GRE mathematics test.

I have been studying for the math subject test for about 2 months using the Princeton Review book which is presumably available at any Barnes and Noble or Borders and is cheap on Amazon. Also, there's a book of exams "REA Best Test Prep" which provides many good practice problems.

The Princeton Review provides a skeletal outline of the most important topics to know for the exam, not necessarily an undergraduate mathematics education. In looking over the practice tests which directly come from ETS, I would say that 80-90% of the questions relate to the topics covered in the Princeton Review book.

When I first saw the ETS exams, approximately 75% of the questions intimidated my problem solving skills. Now the practice problems are becoming much easier to solve, so I would say a few months of practice is required to be prepared.

After I read through the workbook, I plan to review my textbooks and notes and then work the practice tests under simulated conditions.

So, that's my strategy. I'm just trying not to get too stressed about it before April.

I have a question though. Which CS departments have a Math Subject Test requirement? Cal Tech has a program in Control and Dynamical Systems which is math and CS intensive. I've thought about taking the CS or physics subject tests along with this particular one.

ILoveMath

Post by ILoveMath » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks a lot for your response zombie. Concerning your question, I'm actually not applying for CS in grad school but for Financial Math, for which some schools require the Math Subject Test.That explains why I'm taking the subject test.

It's kinda challenging for me as I , though took regular CS required Math topics, did not take topics like Abstract Algebra,Ring Theory,Topology etc so I might have to "teach myself" those.

Thanks a lot, I will get the Princeton Review Text and see if that helps...

When are you taking your test?