HELP!! - Admission Prospect - Applied Mathematics

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
cybersilence

HELP!! - Admission Prospect - Applied Mathematics

Post by cybersilence » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 am

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum.
I am an Indian student, majoring in Mathematics and Computing from Indian Institute of Technology.
I intend to pursue a PhD in Applied Mathematics(or related area like BioStatistics, Computational Mathematics)

My Profile is as follows :
1) I have a CGPA of 7.36/10.0 (a bit low)(the worst part...I have score 7/10 in most of my mathematics and applied mathematics courses.. which .. i know .. is really bad)
2) Though, I have 3 conference publications(2 international, 1 local) and 1 prospective journal Publication(Elsevier).
3) My research experience is good and I have worked on hot topics like Pseudospectral Methods and Ensemble Kalman Filtering during 2 summers(latest one at INRIA, Paris, France).
4) My B.Tech Project is on Multidimension Tensor Decomposition(which is a hot topic itself)
5) I would have some good ppl write my Letter of Recommendation as well :)

My GRE Score is :
Verbal : 157
Quant : 169
AWA : 4.0(54%)

TOEFL SCORE : Currently N/A
& I would be appearing for a Subject Test in Mathematics this October

I need your able guidance on the following points of doubt :(I have learnt from some earlier posts that you guys are really well informed and knowledgeable which mesmerized me into joining this forum)

Question 1)
I am targeting some most of the Tier 1 Universities which Include MIT, Stanford, NYU, Columbia, UCLA, UCB and others. But I am skeptical because I think my CGPA is too low for these institutes and I would face DIRECT REJECTION from the admission panel. Is it so? To what extent will my low grades damage my chances for an admit?

Question 2)
To what extent can the Subject GRE help me wash my sins(i.e bad grades) and get me accepted to these top notch institutes

Question 3)
To what Extent will my publications help boster my low CGPA

Question 4)
What reasons can I mention in my Statement of Purpose for a low CGPA?

Question 5) Any other tips you can shower, which might help me to make it to these top notch research centers?

P.S. My bad grades do not mean that I have a weak Mathematical Background. I know, I am ready for the rigors of a PhD. However, they do reflect my highly insincere attitude towards my academics(only).

I will be highly grateful to you for the same.

Thanks in advance :)

cybersilence

Re: HELP!! - Admission Prospect - Applied Mathematics

Post by cybersilence » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:17 pm

WILL SOMEONE BE KIND ENOUGH TO REPLY?
Thanks is advance :)

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:31 pm

I got in nowhere in my first attempt, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. It is based on what I believe went wrong with my applications. I too am from India and have a similar background as you and applied to a similar area.

A1) Low CGPA will bite you. Especially in top schools. Especially after doing whatever conversion to GPA on 4 that some of them do. Getting a higher GPA there is much easier than it is for us.
A2) Won't cover bad grades, but a score above 90%ile will help.
A3) Research experience and publications will help A LOT.
A4) Don't know
A5) Focus on one area. Don't say that you are interested in this, and this and that.(which seems likely from your research experience).

Use the search feature on this site. Most of your questions have already been answered.
If you have any further questions, PM me(the email alert will make me reply faster as I don't check this site that often anymore).

cybersilence

Post by cybersilence » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Hey! It has been months .. I have been trying again andagin .. the PM service of this site is down .. is there some other way we can talk @gasquet

This idea struck me today only :-/