Suggestions on where to apply?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
AndyL

Suggestions on where to apply?

Post by AndyL » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 am

I'm entering my senior and planning to apply for grad school. It kinda baffles me where I should apply, so I'm hoping to get some advise. Really appreciate it. Here's my profile:

Undergrad institution: UCLA
Major: Pure math
Upper div math GPA: 3.93 (will boost up a little to 3.95 if I get A's this coming fall)
Undergrad courses taken by graduation (some are already done and some are in plan, but definitely will take): Linear Algrbra, Real & Complex Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Differential Geometry, System of Differential Equation, ODE, PDE, Probability Theory, Topology, and Combinatorics.
GRE: Not taken yet, General will be early Nov, Sub in Oct.
Program Applying: Pure math
Research Experience: N/A

Awards/Honors: Dean's Honor list for 2 out of 3 quarters in UCLA (transferred from community college in 2012). Actually, got A's in both upper div math classes last quarter, but registered for less than 12 units so cannot be in that damn list.....

Activities or Jobs: Tutored for a year, and hopefully HW grader this coming academic year.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Will consult the Dept to try to get in a grad course. Will try to get a recommendation letter from Dept Vice Chair, who happened to be one of my professors. Other two letters will probably come from less famous and relatively young faculties, but are strong anyway.

Given my profile above, I'm shooting to stay at UCLA for grad school, but have no idea how much of a chance to get in. Other schools, I'm not sure yet, but NYU looks to be also a goal. Other than that, I don't know what caliber of schools to apply for.

Any reply or suggestion would be helpful and appreciated.

mathfreak

Re: Suggestions on where to apply?

Post by mathfreak » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:53 am

AndyL wrote:I'm entering my senior and planning to apply for grad school. It kinda baffles me where I should apply, so I'm hoping to get some advise. Really appreciate it. Here's my profile:

Upper div math GPA: 3.93 (will boost up a little to 3.95 if I get A's this coming fall)
Undergrad courses taken by graduation (some are already done and some are in plan, but definitely will take): Linear Algrbra, Real & Complex Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Differential Geometry, System of Differential Equation, ODE, PDE, Probability Theory, Topology, and Combinatorics.

Awards/Honors: Dean's Honor list for 2 out of 3 quarters in UCLA (transferred from community college in 2012). Actually, got A's in both upper div math classes last quarter, but registered for less than 12 units so cannot be in that damn list.....

Activities or Jobs: Tutored for a year, and hopefully HW grader this coming academic year.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Will consult the Dept to try to get in a grad course. Will try to get a recommendation letter from Dept Vice Chair, who happened to be one of my professors. Other two letters will probably come from less famous and relatively young faculties, but are strong anyway.

Given my profile above, I'm shooting to stay at UCLA for grad school, but have no idea how much of a chance to get in. Other schools, I'm not sure yet, but NYU looks to be also a goal. Other than that, I don't know what caliber of schools to apply for.

Since you are from UCLA and have very good GPA , I think you can also get excellent LORs.

I think you should try for top 5 schools. You have a very good chance of getting them.

AndyL

Post by AndyL » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:25 pm

mathfreak wrote:
AndyL wrote:I'm entering my senior and planning to apply for grad school. It kinda baffles me where I should apply, so I'm hoping to get some advise. Really appreciate it. Here's my profile:

Since you are from UCLA and have very good GPA , I think you can also get excellent LORs.

I think you should try for top 5 schools. You have a very good chance of getting them.
Thanks! But I don't have any research experiences whatsoever. Is this a big deal for a pure math major?

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 pm

It would be best to ask a professor you know for the same.

Users on this site could give you nothing more than random guesses. Also, most users here know a lot lesser about the admission process than they think they do(myself included).

mathfreak

Post by mathfreak » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:58 pm

AndyL wrote:
mathfreak wrote:

Thanks! But I don't have any research experiences whatsoever. Is this a big deal for a pure math major?

No, not really. It is very rare for a math major to have research papers. What is more is your important is your LORs.

Read the answer by Paul Garret here

http://academia.stackexchange.com/quest ... blications