electronic ENg need HELP! for PURE MS, subject test=700(61%)

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
supems

electronic ENg need HELP! for PURE MS, subject test=700(61%)

Post by supems » Sat May 25, 2013 5:30 am

Hi,
I m a graduate in a south asian country who studied Electronic & Telecom Engineering. However since 2nd year in university I was interested in doing a math undergraduate degree and then graduate study. But in our country once a student enrolled to a particular course he cant change his course of study. So I had to continue with engineering. :( I have only a GPA of 2.84 only(second lower Honours) but however, for MATH modules all the grades are above B. I had a semester GPA of 3.99 and 3.93 and was in the Dean's list for level 1 sem 1 and sem 2. I have studied real analysis(as a part of a module), Linear Algebra ,Mathematical Logic(as a part of a module), Differential Equations, Calculus, Linear Algebra and other math and stat at university. Now I am interested in doing MATH graduate study. I also did the MATH subject test in aprill 2013 and got 700(61%). I messed up all the questions related to group theory and topology and didnt have time for the last 8 questions or so :(. Is this a good score or shall I do it again? Iam currently preparing for TOEFL and general test. The general test is only offered in our country as a paper based one so I have to stay till October :(. What type of universities should I apply for? Do I have to do an undergrad course in MATH?
Currently I m working as a TA in Mathematics at my university. Interested areas: Real Analysis, Calculus, Mathematical logic, Linear Algebra.

Thank You

mathfreak

Re: electronic ENg need HELP! for PURE MS, subject test=700(61%)

Post by mathfreak » Sat May 25, 2013 7:05 am

Since you're a non-math major, you will definitely need more than 61 percentile. Anything about 80 percentile is considered a good score.

BTW, which South Asian country are you from? I think it will be better if you go for masters in math in your home country before applying for graduate program in math abroad.

supems

Post by supems » Sat May 25, 2013 7:55 am

Sri Lanka. We dont have much grad programs in pure math most of them are like financial math etc :( In our country university admission is done from A/L marks so once you are in it is almost impossible to change the course. No private UNI's which offer good math degrees

supems

Post by supems » Mon May 27, 2013 1:02 pm

It's really hard to find material on the subject test. Can some one let me know what are books that I should try. If someone has the names of books with practice exams and questions that will be great.

Thank You

vonLipwig

Post by vonLipwig » Wed May 29, 2013 4:53 am

I found this book to be very useful. http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Mathemat ... 0375429727

If you look around on this forum, you should be able to find links to the four past tests which are available online as well.