A little bit of everything.

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Darth Frodo

A little bit of everything.

Post by Darth Frodo » Thu May 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi all. My first post here and I really like the forums. They are extremely informative! Brace yourselves for a long post as I have a lot of information to write and I hope all of you can help me.

Ok, so first of all, I have just completed my freshman year of a B.Sc in Mathematics and Physics. I am at an Irish university which is very much focused on Applied Math! I like to think that there are top members in they're respective fields there. Especially the area I want to go into (At least at the minute) which is Fluid Dynamics. Profs. at my uni were the one's who published the paper explaining why Guinness bubbles sank.

So my course outline is as such, it's relatively inflexible.

Semester 1
Intro Physics 1
Computer Software
Calc 1
LA 1
Properties of Matter

Semester 2
Intro Physics 2
Intro Statistics
Calc 2
Discrete Math
Semiconductor Devices

Semester 3
ODEs
Mechanics
Vector Analysis
Linear Analysis
Optics

Semester 4
Thermal Physics
Modern Physics
Intro Numerical Analysis
PDEs
E&M

Semester 5
QM
Mech of Solids
Applied Analysis
LA2
Mathematical Modelling of Continuum

Semester 6
Co-Op More on this later.

Semester 7
Solid State Physics 1
Maths of Natural Phenomena
Asymptotic Analysis
**May take math module**
Thesis

Semester 8
Solid State 2
Dynamical Systems
Mathematical Models
**May Take Math Module**
Thesis Contd.

Ok, so that's essentially what I have to take. Q1: Can I take any more App Math to improve my Grad School App?

Next is regarding the GRE. I have no pure math courses.
Will this effect my chances at Applied Math Grad School?
Of the pure Math that's on the GRE is it easy to pick up the summer before?

With regard to Co-Op: What this is, is that my Uni sends out Juniors into the working world for 6 months to gain industry experience. Is it possible to do a REU like placement in the states with a prof during this time? When would I be advised to contact them as I start the Spring Semester of my Junior Year?

Lastly, I've scoured the net and keep coming up with different lists, but what are the best places in the states to do App Math in (Specifically Fluid Dynamics).

Thank you all for reading.

Darth Frodo

Re: A little bit of everything.

Post by Darth Frodo » Mon May 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Can anyone help me out?

mathfreak

Post by mathfreak » Tue May 21, 2013 8:48 am

I'm speaking from my limited experience, but I think it will be better if you take some basic pure math courses like abstract algebra, real analysis and complex analysis.

Ignotas

Post by Ignotas » Tue May 21, 2013 10:00 am

mathfreak wrote:I'm speaking from my limited experience, but I think it will be better if you take some basic pure math courses like abstract algebra, real analysis and complex analysis.
What is usually included in standard undergraduate-level abstract algebra course? I am from applied mathematics and my university only offers "Algebraic Structures" which main goals are (copy-paste from my university's website): "to understand algebraic structures and their classification, to recognize groups, fields, rings, algebras, etc, and to make use of their properties, to represent and stratify groups and rings, to construct special algebras with desirable properties." Is that enough to, say, MGRE?

mathfreak

Post by mathfreak » Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 am

Ignotas wrote:
mathfreak wrote:I'm speaking from my limited experience, but I think it will be better if you take some basic pure math courses like abstract algebra, real analysis and complex analysis.
What is usually included in standard undergraduate-level abstract algebra course? I am from applied mathematics and my university only offers "Algebraic Structures" which main goals are (copy-paste from my university's website): "to understand algebraic structures and their classification, to recognize groups, fields, rings, algebras, etc, and to make use of their properties, to represent and stratify groups and rings, to construct special algebras with desirable properties." Is that enough to, say, MGRE?

The content of abstract algebra is exactly to the "Algebraic Structures" course offered in your department.There also we study groups, rings and fields.