Does MGRE help obtain funding?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
buckeye1973

Does MGRE help obtain funding?

Post by buckeye1973 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning on entering a Masters of Mathematical Sciences program. In general these programs do not require the MGRE, and I have no intention of entering a PhD program.

BUT, I would take the subject test if I thought it might help obtain funding (from whatever source there may be that it would help). Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks,

Brian

y45askel

Re: Does MGRE help obtain funding?

Post by y45askel » Fri May 17, 2013 5:21 pm

If you're planning on applying to OSU (from the context and your username I can infer this :P) then no you do not need the subject test for the MMS programs. Although, if you can do well on it and think it could strengthen your application then go for it! I'll be going to OSU this fall in a MMS program and I did not take the MGRE for admission/funding. They will only admit you if they can provide you with funding as per their website states. :)

buckeye1973

Post by buckeye1973 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:34 am

Heh, yes you infer correctly :D. Thing is, they even state on their site that most applicants to the MMS don't submit MGRE scores, and I have a busy summer lined up already, so I really think it is only worth my while if it actually increases my chances of finding additional funding. The GTA stipend (about $1875/mo., which goes far in Columbus) and tuition waiver is nice, but as the other part of my username suggests, I'm *ahem* rather non-traditional. I'll be leaving a decent paying job to do this, and have a family of three to help support, so I may need to supplement that stipend. Prepping for the MGRE is a lot of work, so I want it to pay off. You may be right about it strengthing my app, but I had been thinking it was a non-factor there.

Brian

y45askel

Post by y45askel » Sat May 18, 2013 1:22 am

If anything I would take the General GRE and score above 75th percentile so you can qualify for a university fellowship which may have a higher stipend than the GTA position. I don't think taking the MGRE would give you a higher stipend rate because it's pretty much a flat rate for all students (including PhD who have not passed their quals). Which MMS program were you planning on applying to? I'll be doing the Mathematical Biology specialization. :)

buckeye1973

Post by buckeye1973 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:59 pm

Sorry for the delay..

Thank you for the suggestion to just focus on the General GRE, I think you're reasoning is sound.

I'm looking at the MMS in Computational Sciences. It occurs to me that I could try to keep my future options open and during that program take for electives the grad intro courses in Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis (5111/5112 and 5201/5202 at Ohio State), meanwhile GTA-ing freshmen Calculus, so by the end of the MMS if I decide I want to try for a PhD I should be well prepared for the MGRE as well as for the PhD qualifying exams.