kindly help me Cos am confused

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.

Which of the branches is promising , interesting ,fun ?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Mathematical Physics
13%
Pure Mathematics
60%
Statistics
No votes
Applied Mathematics
27%

Total votes: 15

fawazshitu

kindly help me Cos am confused

Post by fawazshitu » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:15 pm

I am studying mathematics in the university.I am averagely good in all the branches of mathematics;Pure Maths ,Mathematical Physics, Applied Maths and Statistics. My aim is to be a professor in life . Please kindly help me to make a choice .Tell me the opportunities in every field.Most importantly am interested in research .

MathFreaked

Re: kindly help me Cos am confused

Post by MathFreaked » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:59 pm

If you have a taste for something other than just pure math and mathematical physics, I would strongly recommend pursuing them. Pure math and physics are great and fun to learn, but you're much more likely to be able to find work as an applied mathematician or statistician. Further, if you're primarily interested in research, there are many places besides just schools that will pay you to do research in these fields. This is simply not true of pure math.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:10 am

You should pursue your own interests instead of the opinions of others. Grad school is torture. The only thing that is going to get you through all the rubbish is your burning passion for the subject.

All four branches are interesting and promising and fun. You need to pick which one is fun for YOU.

mathfreak

Post by mathfreak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:03 am

What exactly do you mean by applied math? The difference between "applied" math, pure math and mathematic physics is not much and neither do they have any sharp boundaries. They overlap to a large extent. Instead, the question you should be asking is which branch of mathematics is most interesting to YOU. What sort of mathematical questions fascinates you the most. Also, the broader your interest and knowledge of math, the more it will help you as a researcher.

http://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-ad ... ent-range/

http://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-ad ... our-field/

fawazshitu

Post by fawazshitu » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Thank you all for your reply and concern.I appreciate your efforts