Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
rmg512
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby rmg512 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if this is common. Has anyone on this forum accepted an offer from one school while waiting for another (for instance, you're on the waiting list and you almost certainly won't hear back until after the April 15th deadline) and then going back and accepting the offer of the school you were waiting on and telling the other university you changed your plans? I feel terrible considering this, but it seems like I may have to do this. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

dangxing
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby dangxing » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm

It's really a bad idea. If you do so, the school may not recruit any students from your graduated institute in next few years.

MathFreaked
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby MathFreaked » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:42 pm

I was wondering this too (I asked a similar question in another thread). I don't mind being completely open with the institution I would accept with first, but it seems like this sort of thing would have to happen every year so it seems like there should be some sort of protocol for this situation. To me, it would be absolutely absurd to turn down all of your offers hoping you get picked up off the waitlist, but on the other hand if you accept your best current offer but find out on the 16th that you are getting picked up off the waitlist at your dream school, it would be equally absurd to not accept that offer!

elektron1999
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby elektron1999 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Hey! Don't worry so much.
You should do what you have to do.
If you already accepted the offer, I believe you can still accept somebody else's offer before April 15th.
I think it does not look good, and you should try to avoid it as much as possible,
but you cannot commit 6 years of your life (and your career afterwards)
to a place which is not the one you like the most.

Just do what you have to do. They most likely will be upset, but will understand, and I am sure they will not
judge future applicants from your institution, as the 1st reply says. What's their fault?

Good luck! Just think carefully, and then choose whatever is best for your career.

tbil
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:46 am

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby tbil » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm worried about this too.


I was advised by a trusted prof that I would not get into a certain university's program, but I insisted on applying *just in case*.

6 months later, I've heard from every university except for this long shot. I assume that since it's nearing the end of the season and I haven't heard from them, it's safe to assume I'm not admitted. So I accept my best offer thus far. Two days later, the dream university notified me that I'm at the top of their waitlist and there's a good chance I'll receive an offer in the next 3 weeks.

I feel horrible, to put it lightly. And the offer I already accepted is from a very small department... I'm worried that if I go back on my word it will make them have to scramble to fill one of their few spots, if they're able to fill it at all. :(

qbranch
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby qbranch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:50 am

I read in a book on admissions that they will usually be okay with you doing this since they don't want s grad student who is unhappy from day one. They would rather have someone that is excited to be there, and they will just pick someone off of their waiting list (just like your school picked you).

That said, they are not required to let you go to this other school if it is after April 15. You have entered into an agreement with them and your other school can not accept you without written permission from the school you accepted.

abstruse
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:57 am

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby abstruse » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:54 am

tbil wrote:I'm worried about this too.


I was advised by a trusted prof that I would not get into a certain university's program, but I insisted on applying *just in case*.

6 months later, I've heard from every university except for this long shot. I assume that since it's nearing the end of the season and I haven't heard from them, it's safe to assume I'm not admitted. So I accept my best offer thus far. Two days later, the dream university notified me that I'm at the top of their waitlist and there's a good chance I'll receive an offer in the next 3 weeks.

I feel horrible, to put it lightly. And the offer I already accepted is from a very small department... I'm worried that if I go back on my word it will make them have to scramble to fill one of their few spots, if they're able to fill it at all. :(


Notify the school you were accepted to. And the second poster is right, pulling a stunt like this will severely devalue the credibility of your letter writers. Just don't do it.

MathFreaked
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby MathFreaked » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 am

qbranch wrote:That said, they are not required to let you go to this other school if it is after April 15. You have entered into an agreement with them and your other school can not accept you without written permission from the school you accepted.


That's really interesting. I assume this has to do with being part of the council of graduate schools or something? Do you know where I could read more about this?

rmg512
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby rmg512 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 am

Seconded. I would really like to read this policy.

PNT
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby PNT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:27 am

tbil wrote:I'm worried about this too.


I was advised by a trusted prof that I would not get into a certain university's program, but I insisted on applying *just in case*.

6 months later, I've heard from every university except for this long shot. I assume that since it's nearing the end of the season and I haven't heard from them, it's safe to assume I'm not admitted. So I accept my best offer thus far. Two days later, the dream university notified me that I'm at the top of their waitlist and there's a good chance I'll receive an offer in the next 3 weeks.

I feel horrible, to put it lightly. And the offer I already accepted is from a very small department... I'm worried that if I go back on my word it will make them have to scramble to fill one of their few spots, if they're able to fill it at all. :(

you really should of emailed the schools you haven't heard back from and getting confirmation of rejection before accepting any offer.

It's really bad to pullout of an acceptance for multiple reasons, I mean you wouldn't be happy if a school withdrew an offer for instance.

If anyone thinks they are going to be in a position to withdraw from an acceptance then they really should notify the school first before they accept.

tbil
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:46 am

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby tbil » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:36 am

[/quote]
you really should of emailed the schools you haven't heard back from and getting confirmation of rejection before accepting any offer. [/quote]

I did, multiple times, but they didn't reply. Which contributed to my assumption that they weren't interested.

I'm hesitant to notify the school that I've already accepted because it's definitely a possibility that I won't make it off the waitlist anyway. I don't want everyone there to know that I considered them a second choice, it doesn't seem like it'd be a good environment to put myself in...

frgf
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 am

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby frgf » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:41 am

tbil, you should be able withdraw your acceptance before april 15 with no problems. If you read the CGS agreement you'll see that acceptances made before april 15 are not binding :)

tbil
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:46 am

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby tbil » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 am

frgf wrote:tbil, you should be able withdraw your acceptance before april 15 with no problems. If you read the CGS agreement you'll see that acceptances made before april 15 are not binding :)


Yeah I am keeping that in mind... :D however my biggest concern is that I'm gonna cause trouble for them/people on their waitlist :/

PNT
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby PNT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:54 am

tbil wrote:
you really should of emailed the schools you haven't heard back from and getting confirmation of rejection before accepting any offer.


I did, multiple times, but they didn't reply. Which contributed to my assumption that they weren't interested.

I'm hesitant to notify the school that I've already accepted because it's definitely a possibility that I won't make it off the waitlist anyway. I don't want everyone there to know that I considered them a second choice, it doesn't seem like it'd be a good environment to put myself in...

oh that's pretty shitty that they didn't reply in that case. But ya you should notify the school you accepted asap and explain your situation if you are thinking of pulling anything. They understand that they are not going to be a lot of people's first choice and won't hold that against you but they will if you pull the rug out from under them.

Legendre
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:05 am

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby Legendre » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 am

frgf wrote:tbil, you should be able withdraw your acceptance before april 15 with no problems. If you read the CGS agreement you'll see that acceptances made before april 15 are not binding :)


Yep. No acceptance of offer is binding before April 15. However, rejecting an offer is final any time.

MathFreaked
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby MathFreaked » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:30 am

tbil wrote:I'm hesitant to notify the school that I've already accepted because it's definitely a possibility that I won't make it off the waitlist anyway. I don't want everyone there to know that I considered them a second choice, it doesn't seem like it'd be a good environment to put myself in...


I don't think this is as big of an issue as you think it is. We don't live in some perfect world where everyone gets into their top choice institution. People on selection committees understand this as well (and likely went through similar difficulties themselves).

MathFreaked
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby MathFreaked » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 am

rmg512 wrote:Seconded. I would really like to read this policy.


Found it! Warning: PDF

http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/asis/entsup/resolution.pdf

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby math_applicant » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:40 am

MathFreaked wrote:
rmg512 wrote:Seconded. I would really like to read this policy.


Found it! Warning: PDF

http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/asis/entsup/resolution.pdf


thanks for sharing that! I think that settles the OP's concern.

qbranch
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: Accepting an offer and then withdrawing?

Postby qbranch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:58 pm

MathFreaked wrote:
rmg512 wrote:Seconded. I would really like to read this policy.


Found it! Warning: PDF

http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/asis/entsup/resolution.pdf


It's also on CGS's website http://www.cgsnet.org/.




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], itosformula and 5 guests