Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby longtm1989 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:03 pm

I saw on thegradcafe that there is a decision from ALGANT master program. Is there anyone here applying to the program? Where do you check the decision?

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby math_applicant » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:54 pm

I applied but heard nothing !

longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby longtm1989 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:41 pm

I emailed professor Erez, and I know I got accepted :d. He said they were preparing to send official letters. I think if you check on the website that we applied, you can see something like: Selected Profile.

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby math_applicant » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 am

congrats :)

antonioACR1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby antonioACR1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

I applied to ALGANT too (master) but there's no answer yet, probably I'll be rejected so I'd like to apply to Leiden university independently, do you know if it's possible to do that? I know Leiden belongs to ALGANT so I'm not sure what to do, the deadline for Leiden is April 1 (as far as I know) :|

longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby longtm1989 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm

antonioACR1 wrote:I applied to ALGANT too (master) but there's no answer yet, probably I'll be rejected so I'd like to apply to Leiden university independently, do you know if it's possible to do that? I know Leiden belongs to ALGANT so I'm not sure what to do, the deadline for Leiden is April 1 (as far as I know) :|


I think you should email someone in Leiden to ask. It will show some of your initiative. Leiden is a great school for arithmetic geometry. I hope you will be able to make it there.

longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby longtm1989 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:21 am

If you log in the website, and click on upload your document, you will see the result.

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby math_applicant » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:04 am

longtm1989 wrote:If you log in the website, and click on upload your document, you will see the result.

Is this a new button that appeared on your profile page or was it there before ? because I can't find any link with that name, you are using: http://emundus-maths.univ-bordeaux.fr/index.php , right ?

longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby longtm1989 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:30 am

Yes, the website is correct. On the top right, you can see like Home, FAQ, contact us, upload documents,....Click on upload document.

cokomelo
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:39 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby cokomelo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:43 am

hey , i cant find upload documents button. Does it mean that i've been rejected ? :?

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby math_applicant » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:19 am

cokomelo wrote:hey , i cant find upload documents button. Does it mean that i've been rejected ? :?


same here, no button :?

etzo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby etzo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:42 pm

longtm1989,are u applying for master or PhD? I 've applied to PhD and got no answer so far,but a mail(6,March) saying:

A new document has been uploaded on your personal page.

Best regards,
The administrative staff

Although,if i log in to the application site i cant access anything...

longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby longtm1989 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:30 pm

etzo wrote:longtm1989,are u applying for master or PhD? I 've applied to PhD and got no answer so far,but a mail(6,March) saying:

A new document has been uploaded on your personal page.

Best regards,
The administrative staff

Although,if i log in to the application site i cant access anything...


I applied to the master. I am able to access those functions again at the moment.

antonioACR1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby antonioACR1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:26 pm

I've just received a message from ALGANT, it says:
"Dear *me*,
The EMMC ALGANT Selection Committee has now considered all applications, and has made the final choice. Many very strong applications have been submitted to the programme and so it has not been an easy task.
We are sorry to inform you that, even if your application is eligible for admission to the ALGANT Master’s Course 2013/2015, we are not able to offer you a Erasmus Mundus scholarship.

At the moment your name is on the RESERVE LIST: if a beneficiary of an Erasmus Mundus scholarship drops out, candidates in the reserve list will be contacted according to their position in the ranking.
You are kindly required to confirm receipt of this message and to inform us whether you wish to enroll in the ALGANT Master’s Course 2013/2015 as self-sponsored candidate.

Please write to:
masterALGANT@math.u-bordeaux1.fr

With best regards,

Erasmus Mundus Masters Course ALGANT
Pedagogical Secretariat"

what does it mean? :cry: is this a rejection?

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby math_applicant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:34 pm

I received the same response. It means we are on the waitlist for the scholarship and unless someone declines their scholarship we won't be admitted (unless you would like to join the program as self funded).

antonioACR1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby antonioACR1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 pm

math_applicant wrote:I received the same response. It means we are on the waitlist for the scholarship and unless someone declines their scholarship we won't be admitted (unless you would like to join the program as self funded).

what are you planning to do? probably I'll enroll as a self-sponsored candidate, however I don't know how could I finance my studies, I'm looking for some scholarships offered by public institutions in my country but Im not sure if it covers everything (tuition fees, living costs, etc).
I've applied to 3 schools so far (algant, berlin mathematical school and umass amherst) and I was planning to apply to Leiden university and Koc university (specially Leiden because I'm interested in arithmetic geometry) :? ,
Im confused now :|

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby math_applicant » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:23 am

I won't enroll as self funded since I have no other sources for funding, so I already informed them that I will be waiting for my turn. Also, I got accepted at a couple of other places (including BMS) and still waiting to hear from a couple more, so if I don't get the ALGANT scholarship, I will just go somewhere else. Good luck!

etzo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby etzo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:28 am

Is there anyone who has applied to ALGANT-Phd and heard any news?

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby math_applicant » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 am

I'm curious as to whether any of those on the reserve list for the EM scholarship (master's) have heard back yet. I emailed to ask but received no response.

antonioACR1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby antonioACR1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:36 pm

math_applicant wrote:I'm curious as to whether any of those on the reserve list for the EM scholarship (master's) have heard back yet. I emailed to ask but received no response.

I heard only about a reduction of tutition fees (bronze award), but nothing about the scholarship. I ranked #20 in the absolute ranking list ( http://www.algant.eu/documents/ranking_2013.pdf ), so I don't think I'll get the scholarship. May I ask you what is your position in the ranking? do you know how many scholarships are offered each year?

longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby longtm1989 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm

I have a friend going to Algant master last year. He said it depends on each year. Last year, there were 10 scholarships, 4 for European, and 6 for non-European.

antonioACR1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby antonioACR1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:37 pm

longtm1989 wrote:I have a friend going to Algant master last year. He said it depends on each year. Last year, there were 10 scholarships, 4 for European, and 6 for non-European.

that's not good :cry: . I guess the only good thing about not having scholarship is that apparently I can still choose any mobility scheme I want, unlike students with scholarship (as far as I know). The committee assigned Leiden University for my first year and Padova for the second, however in the last few days I've been excited about the fact that Paris-Sud university belongs to ALGANT since I was reading a comment from Prof. Bas Edixhoven stating that Paris-Sud is the most prestigious school in aritmetic geometry (makes sense if we consider the number of fields medal winners who are affiliated with Paris-Sud University, including Ngo Bau Chau for example), so I'm starting to think about the possibility of spending my second year in Paris-Sud but I need to make sure how the process works, I think it would be great. Could you tell me what is your mobility scheme and some of your specific areas of interest? where are you planning to go after getting your Master's degree? what are you doing now during these months?

longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby longtm1989 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:54 pm

antonioACR1 wrote:
longtm1989 wrote:I have a friend going to Algant master last year. He said it depends on each year. Last year, there were 10 scholarships, 4 for European, and 6 for non-European.

that's not good :cry: . I guess the only good thing about not having scholarship is that apparently I can still choose any mobility scheme I want, unlike students with scholarship (as far as I know). The committee assigned Leiden University for my first year and Padova for the second, however in the last few days I've been excited about the fact that Paris-Sud university belongs to ALGANT since I was reading a comment from Prof. Bas Edixhoven stating that Paris-Sud is the most prestigious school in aritmetic geometry (makes sense if we consider the number of fields medal winners who are affiliated with Paris-Sud University, including Ngo Bau Chau for example), so I'm starting to think about the possibility of spending my second year in Paris-Sud but I need to make sure how the process works, I think it would be great. Could you tell me what is your mobility scheme and some of your specific areas of interest? where are you planning to go after getting your Master's degree? what are you doing now during these months?


They assigned me to Padova for the first year, and Paris Sud for the second year. I don't know what I want to study yet. Currently, I am trying to study some algebraic number theory/algebraic geometry. I am reading Fulton's algebraic curves with another person in this forum, you are welcome to join. My Skype ID is the same as my nick name here. So far, I think I will re-apply again after my master.

You can always choose where to go for your second year later. Leiden is a top school in number theory. My friend told me you need to be very strong in order to go to Paris Sud. At other schools, you start doing your thesis in the beginning of your second year, but at Paris Sud, you start in the second semester of your second year, so you have less time. Moreover, all the courses are in French, so you have to know French.

antonioACR1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby antonioACR1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:08 pm

I'll do my best in order to be good enough for Paris-Sud. At the moment I can read fluently in French but my spoken French is very limited, so I'm working on that :D . On the other hand, when I was working on my Bachelor's thesis I spent about 5-6 months to read Milne's algebraic number theory notes and Atiyah's book introduction to commutative algebra (and other stuff), now I'm doing exercises from Hartshorne's chapter 2 (schemes) and eventually I expect to do all or most of the exercises in chapter 3 (cohomology) before september, I find those exercises really hard but I believe I can do all or most of them so I'm really focused on them right now. Also I hope to read part of the book the arithmetic of elliptic curves by Silvermann. Basically I'm trying to follow the advice given by some professors, for example http://www.math.wisc.edu/~ellenber/gradstudents.html or http://mathoverflow.net/questions/21552 ... c-geometry , among others. In the future I hope to learn some etale cohomology and work on Hartshorne's chapter 4, it's a lot of stuff but I think it's worthy :P

m.taoufiq
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby m.taoufiq » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi guys,
i recieved a kind of admission E-mail from the Pedagogical Secretariat (Master) they assigned me to Bordeaux for the first year, and Padova for the second year, but they said :

Please note that the ALGANT Coordinator has submitted the list of selected students to the European Commission and that you will be contacted to officially confirm your scholarship, only after the notification by the european commission (around mid April 2013). !!!
what do you think ???

antonioACR1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby antonioACR1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:31 am

m.taoufiq wrote:Hi guys,
i recieved a kind of admission E-mail from the Pedagogical Secretariat (Master) they assigned me to Bordeaux for the first year, and Padova for the second year, but they said :

Please note that the ALGANT Coordinator has submitted the list of selected students to the European Commission and that you will be contacted to officially confirm your scholarship, only after the notification by the european commission (around mid April 2013). !!!
what do you think ???


I think you've clearly been accepted and you shouldn't worry about the scholarship, eventually you'll get it :D

m.taoufiq
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby m.taoufiq » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:43 pm

I hope so man :D , so you talked about the possibilty of changing the mobility scheme, is it really possible ?
please if you have any idea about the Erasmus procedure (Visa, travel ..ect) ? because actually im not in my home country,im a non-Euro student
Cheers

antonioACR1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby antonioACR1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 pm

I don't know how the ALGANT procedure works (for visa or traveling, etc). To be honest, I don't even know how am I supposed to get money to cover my living costs and fees :oops: . I'm from Mexico and ALGANT assigned me to Leiden university, so the only thing I know is that I need an MVV residence permit (according to http://www.rsonac.org/schengen-visa/vis ... ermit.html ), however it is a D visa and therefore I can travel to the Netherlands first and then apply for a residence permit. I'm not sure if this process is the same in your case.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change the mobility scheme. According to http://www.algant.eu/applying.php , it says "The mobility scheme will be reviewed every year, i.e. each academic year along with the review of the student agreement." So I guess this implies we can change our mobility scheme at the end of the first year. I really hope this is true :wink:

m.taoufiq
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby m.taoufiq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm

ah ok thanks, yes it's also the case for me, im from Morocco :wink: , do you have a private adress (Skype-E-mail..etc)??

antonioACR1
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Is there anyone applying to ALGANT?

Postby antonioACR1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 pm

m.taoufiq wrote:ah ok thanks, yes it's also the case for me, im from Morocco :wink: , do you have a private adress (Skype-E-mail..etc)??

let me know if you received my message




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests