Decisions

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Manyfolds
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Decisions

Postby Manyfolds » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:01 pm

This thread will serve to help people make decisions regarding math/ applied math departments. Everyone can share their impressions based on open houses/ talking to profs, etc... and hopefully decisions will be easier to make/ more people will get accepted from waitlists. So if anyone is choosing between departments or is looking to get a feel for a univ, they should post on here.

MKD
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby MKD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Pure math, most likely Analysis: UT Austin or Brown? (or Rutgers..?) I'll be at Austin's open house on Monday.

Rikimaru
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby Rikimaru » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Pure math, most likely will be going to Northwestern. Will def. be at the Visiting Day. Anyone else going?

123456
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby 123456 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:23 pm

What date is Northwestern's visiting day?

Rikimaru wrote:Pure math, most likely will be going to Northwestern. Will def. be at the Visiting Day. Anyone else going?

frgf
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 am

Re: Decisions

Postby frgf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:37 pm

UCSD's visitation day is April 4&5. I won't be going but I'd love to hear from anyone who does go. One specific question I have is: how difficult is it to get summer funding?

Rikimaru
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby Rikimaru » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 pm

123456 wrote:What date is Northwestern's visiting day?


It is March 8th. According to Paul Goerss,

We have quite a bit planned that day including

-- Coffee, and a meeting with me
-- Attend classes (if you like)
-- Visit with selected professors
-- Lunch (and more informal time) with grad students
-- Afternoon reception

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby virgo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 am

frgf wrote:UCSD's visitation day is April 4&5. I won't be going but I'd love to hear from anyone who does go. One specific question I have is: how difficult is it to get summer funding?

Where did you get the dates? I wasn't notified of any open house although I assumed there would be one.

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby virgo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 am

virgo wrote:
frgf wrote:UCSD's visitation day is April 4&5. I won't be going but I'd love to hear from anyone who does go. One specific question I have is: how difficult is it to get summer funding?

Where did you get the dates? I wasn't notified of any open house although I assumed there would be one.

Nvm, it's in the letter.

heregoesnothing
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:54 am

Re: Decisions

Postby heregoesnothing » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:14 pm

@Rikimaru --- may I ask what you are interested in? I thought NW was my first (realistic) choice before the admissions season and it still is, but Michigan and Austin have now became very attractive.

elektron1999
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby elektron1999 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Rikimaru:

Did you get offers from UT Austin & Michigan for Pure or Applied Math?

Rikimaru
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby Rikimaru » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:44 pm

@Heregoesnothing:

I'm interested in Dynamical Systems, not sure which subfield. I've done measurable dynamics, ODEs, and recently working on billiards. All exciting stuff haha. NW is very good for dynamical systems, so...yeah, I feel right at home. : )

@Elektron:
I did not apply for there.

AcidThinking
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Decisions

Postby AcidThinking » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:48 pm

I applied to 9 universities, 4 of which have so far replied to me.

I have one acceptance which is the University of Rochester.

I am interested in knowing what you guys think of their graduate program. My interest is Harmonic Analysis.

Manyfolds
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby Manyfolds » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on Courant vs UCLA? I'm interested in analysis & PDE.

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby virgo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 am

Manyfolds wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Courant vs UCLA? I'm interested in analysis & PDE.

Personally, I would go for UCLA. I've heard that after Berkeley, it's the best place to be for Analysis/PDEs.

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Decisions

Postby marco » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:52 am

virgo wrote:
Manyfolds wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Courant vs UCLA? I'm interested in analysis & PDE.

Personally, I would go for UCLA. I've heard that after Berkeley, it's the best place to be for Analysis/PDEs.


According to USNews UCLA is better at Analysis than Courant.

CoxZucker_Machine
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:38 am

Re: Decisions

Postby CoxZucker_Machine » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Manyfolds wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Courant vs UCLA? I'm interested in analysis & PDE.


Personally, I would go to Courant! They got Niremberg, Fang-Hua Lin, Cheeger, Masmoudi... NYU is really top notch for PDEs. But you should visit both places, meet possible supervisors and decide for yourself!

meredith
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby meredith » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:31 pm

I'll be visiting University of Missouri later this week. If it goes well, I'll turn down my offer from ASU, but I'm still kind of holding out for Washington University in St. Louis.

Does anyone have thoughts regarding those schools?

IfhhoteCannot
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Decisions

Postby IfhhoteCannot » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:54 pm

marco wrote:
virgo wrote:
Manyfolds wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Courant vs UCLA? I'm interested in analysis & PDE.

Personally, I would go for UCLA. I've heard that after Berkeley, it's the best place to be for Analysis/PDEs.


According to USNews UCLA is better at Analysis than Courant.


I think you can't really go wrong with this decision. They are both great programs. You should pick the place you would rather live. So Cal weather can't be beat, but NYC's a pretty awesome place. I wish I had to make this decision! :)

Legendre
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:05 am

Re: Decisions

Postby Legendre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:24 pm

marco wrote:According to USNews UCLA is better at Analysis than Courant.


According to USNews, Rutgers and Minnesota is better than Cornell at Combinatorics and Discrete Mathematics. But it would be very silly to turn down Cornell for them if you're doing network science / applied graph theory!




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest