Offers with only Tuition Waiver?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Legendre
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:05 am

Offers with only Tuition Waiver?

Postby Legendre » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:15 pm

Have you guys heard of schools giving out offers with only tuition waiver but no living expenses?

So far I have only heard people talk about full funding with living expenses included. I am actually fine with just a tuition waiver (worked for a few years), and was wondering if I could have improved my chances by stating that I can attend with just a tuition waiver.

JonMLTR
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:17 am

Re: Offers with only Tuition Waiver?

Postby JonMLTR » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:57 am

Legendre wrote:Have you guys heard of schools giving out offers with only tuition waiver but no living expenses?

So far I have only heard people talk about full funding with living expenses included. I am actually fine with just a tuition waiver (worked for a few years), and was wondering if I could have improved my chances by stating that I can attend with just a tuition waiver.



Depends on the university, for the top ones it is unlikely to help.

Legendre
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:05 am

Re: Offers with only Tuition Waiver?

Postby Legendre » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:16 pm

JonMLTR wrote:Depends on the university, for the top ones it is unlikely to help.


Some of the ivy league forms say that if we have our own funding it will improve our chances.

JonMLTR
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:17 am

Re: Offers with only Tuition Waiver?

Postby JonMLTR » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Legendre wrote:
JonMLTR wrote:Depends on the university, for the top ones it is unlikely to help.


Some of the ivy league forms say that if we have our own funding it will improve our chances.


1. Well, "Ivy League" covers a lot of universities and they are not all the same.

2. It will also be different for theory and applied parts. I am familiar with the applied part and similar departments like operations research etc.

3. I think you should contact a poi and ask about this, they will usually have some good feedback (much better than the ones you will find here).

4. Tuition waiver is also considered as funding in fact some professors I have spoken to told me that they spend most of their money on paying tuitions rather than stipends especially on private universities.




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests