question about application to ann arbor

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
math_stu

question about application to ann arbor

Post by math_stu » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 am

So the deadline for application there is January 22. Theoretically, we may get some acceptances before. Is it worthwhile to wait until a day before the deadline and only then to submit the application (and possibly save a lot of money in case we get accepted somewhere else before and decide not to apply to ann arbor), or the admission committee starts reviewing applications before the deadline? (I know that in some schools like GA Tech this is the case). The only thing that I found is on their FAQ list:

Q: How do I know when my application is complete?
A: Our review of applications begins after the deadline (January 15 for International students; January 22 for domestic students). We finalize the application materials by creating a file from all the required material. When an application is complete, we will update the status and you will be able to instantly see this through New and Prospective Student Business on Wolverine Access. To view your application status, use the steps outlined on Rackham’s website.

What do you suggest?

marco

Re: question about application to ann arbor

Post by marco » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:53 pm

I think most schools don't start publishing decisions before February but I may be wrong. What I would do is go to http://www.thegradcafe.com and look up when the other schools you have applied to start sending acceptances. If some of these schools start before January 22 then I would wait to apply to Ann Arbor. If not then I would go ahead and apply.

kuz

Post by kuz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 am

I got into Princeton last year a few days before the Michigan application was due, so I never properly completed my application (one of my LoR writers never got around to submitting his letter). Might as well put it off as late as possible.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 am

kuz wrote:I got into Princeton last year a few days before the Michigan application was due, so I never properly completed my application (one of my LoR writers never got around to submitting his letter). Might as well put it off as late as possible.
Ohhh good to know! Hey kuz may I ask what would you consider was the determining factor in your application to get accepted into Princeton. Did you get some solid recommendations from well known mathematicians? publications?