Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
IIIII
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IIIII » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 pm

virgo wrote:Woah, I just got rejected from Indiana. I have no idea how that happened as I thought I would be a shoe in considering the fact that I got accepted into much better places. Also, I know people with much worse gre scores who got in.

That's too bad. Was it via an email from the graduate director? I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Nr
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Nr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm

virgo wrote:I'm thinking that maybe they didn't get my transcripts?


Wow, I'm surprised
??? ???
I think you should ask them why ...

voronoi
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby voronoi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Manyfolds wrote:Did anyone who applied to Brown DAM not hear back yet?


I've not heard back from them. I don't know what that means, but I sent the graduate director an email yesterday asking for my application status. Have you also not heard back from them?

Manyfolds
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Manyfolds » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 pm

I haven't heard back from Brown DAM

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Nr wrote:
virgo wrote:I'm thinking that maybe they didn't get my transcripts?


Wow, I'm surprised
??? ???
I think you should ask them why ...

I think I might although I don't know how I would go about it. It's just such a shocker. Maybe I messed up my SOP for them? I actually emailed the secretary a few days ago and asked her whether my transcripts were ever received. It doesn't really matter to me as I probably wouldn't have gone there.

Nr
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Nr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 pm

virgo wrote:
Nr wrote:
virgo wrote:I'm thinking that maybe they didn't get my transcripts?


Wow, I'm surprised
??? ???
I think you should ask them why ...

I think I might although I don't know how I would go about it. It's just such a shocker. Maybe I messed up my SOP for them? I actually emailed the secretary a few days ago and asked her whether my transcripts were ever received. It doesn't really matter to me as I probably wouldn't have gone there.


Yeah, at least you have still good offers so on the long run its going to be ok, right?

About transcript, normally unis contact you if they are interested and lack a document, you know?
I don't think they just reject some student they like because of a mere blunder, so they might be some other reason.

mindreader
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby mindreader » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Manyfolds wrote:I haven't heard back from Brown DAM


Maybe you guys are on the waitlist? I haven't seen anyone put up a waitlist status on the grad cafe

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Nr wrote:
Yeah, at least you have still good offers so on the long run its going to be ok, right?

About transcript, normally unis contact you if they are interested and lack a document, you know?
I don't think they just reject some student they like because of a mere blunder, so they might be some other reason.

That's what I think too, which is why I was surprised. I just hope there's no red flag on my app because I'm really hoping for Cornell.

RealClosedField
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby RealClosedField » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Anyone not hear back from UCLA yet? There seems to be a lot of rejects / acceptance on GC, but I still have no decision. And no message of a waitlist. Anyone else in the same position? Should I contact them?

Nr
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Nr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm

virgo wrote:
Nr wrote:
Yeah, at least you have still good offers so on the long run its going to be ok, right?

About transcript, normally unis contact you if they are interested and lack a document, you know?
I don't think they just reject some student they like because of a mere blunder, so they might be some other reason.

That's what I think too, which is why I was surprised. I just hope there's no red flag on my app because I'm really hoping for Cornell.


I hope they have a convincing reason for their decision so that all of this starts to make sense.

And good luck for Cornell. I really hope you make it !!!

tvboomer
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby tvboomer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 pm

DiscreteGuy wrote:My OSU "departmental internal procedure" status, after being marked as incomplete for a while, is now marked as "waived." What's also weird is under the comments section for that section, the comment "dept. is paying" is listed, and my three recommendations and textbook form are still listed as incomplete. Does anyone know what this means?


My application underwent the same change; I just called the department and was told that this was "probably a good thing", and that the department had perhaps waived a missing document (perhaps an updated or unofficial transcript). Regardless, it would appear you and I are both still under consideration, which is better than the alternative!

IIIII
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IIIII » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47 pm

tvboomer wrote:
DiscreteGuy wrote:My OSU "departmental internal procedure" status, after being marked as incomplete for a while, is now marked as "waived." What's also weird is under the comments section for that section, the comment "dept. is paying" is listed, and my three recommendations and textbook form are still listed as incomplete. Does anyone know what this means?


My application underwent the same change; I just called the department and was told that this was "probably a good thing", and that the department had perhaps waived a missing document (perhaps an updated or unofficial transcript). Regardless, it would appear you and I are both still under consideration, which is better than the alternative!

The status of some of my documents has changed...not in the exact way you described though. I hope this simply means they are indeed looking at my application and not just throwing it in the ignore pile.

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Manyfolds wrote:There should be an annual party on April 15th for those on this forum.


Some of us may not exactly be in a situation which warrants a party.

RealClosedField wrote:Anyone not hear back from UCLA yet? There seems to be a lot of rejects / acceptance on GC, but I still have no decision. And no message of a waitlist. Anyone else in the same position? Should I contact them?


I've not heard back from UCLA (applied). I don't recall seeing any admit on GC for UCLA that stated that it was for applied. Just a few rejections. If you do contact them, do post their response here.

sandsilos
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby sandsilos » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 pm

mindreader wrote:
Manyfolds wrote:I haven't heard back from Brown DAM


Maybe you guys are on the waitlist? I haven't seen anyone put up a waitlist status on the grad cafe


Sent an email to the department and the response was that there are a small number of applications for which are still under consideration.

waiting512
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby waiting512 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 pm

I was admitted to U. of Florida today at Gainesville. I am not sure how many other people were, though.

IIIII
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IIIII » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:37 pm

I have been refreshing so often, I am afraid that I will accidentally DOS this site and Grad Cafe.

frgf
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby frgf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm

@virgo it's possible that they knew you would have gotten accepted to better places and decided not to waste an admit.

Nr
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Nr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:57 pm

frgf wrote:@virgo it's possible that they knew you would have gotten accepted to better places and decided not to waste an admit.


That's what I thought too, but Indiana doesn't seem like a place which would do that right away.
Still seems weird to me ...
But that definitely an option.

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:27 pm

IIIII wrote:
virgo wrote:Woah, I just got rejected from Indiana. I have no idea how that happened as I thought I would be a shoe in considering the fact that I got accepted into much better places. Also, I know people with much worse gre scores who got in.

That's too bad. Was it via an email from the graduate director? I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

No, it was just from math graduate admissions.

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:27 pm

frgf wrote:@virgo it's possible that they knew you would have gotten accepted to better places and decided not to waste an admit.

I thought that too.

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 pm

For the other people accepted into UCSD, do you know whether we will get any news about funding or open house visits? My email was from the dean of graduate admissions and it didn't really include many details.

Nr
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Nr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:36 pm

I think it's safe to say that Illinois won't make a move this week anymore ...
thanks for killing another week...
seems that when the grad director said he announce results end of February he literally meant February 28th...
...

cooltrainer
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby cooltrainer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:47 pm

I called Rice Applied Math and they said they already sent out their first-round offers and will send out some more after the late deadline, which is February 28, 2013. Anyone has been accepted to Rice CAAM?

Thomas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Thomas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Has anyone heard from Yale pure math? I can only see 2 acceptances in Gradcafe posted in january, and one wait-list.

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Update for Cornell: Apparently they over enrolled last year and plan to admit far fewer applicants this year. This could explain why we haven't seen any acceptances and only one wait list on grad cafe. It could really be that the people who have been accepted just happen not to be members of this site or posters on grad cafe.

123456
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby 123456 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Has anyone contacted any of the following pure math departments for status updates or general information about decisions timeline: Berkeley, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Michigan, Dartmouth?

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:32 pm

123456 wrote:Has anyone contacted any of the following pure math departments for status updates or general information about decisions timeline: Berkeley, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Michigan, Dartmouth?

I just posted some info about Cornell. Apparently they're going to make very few offers this year.
Last edited by virgo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby longtm1989 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:38 pm

I emailed Columbia a week ago to ask for my application status, here is what they answered me yesterday:

" All applications are being reviewed using the test scores entered on the application, along with any uploaded score reports. We have received your test scores. We have not yet run the program which matches GRE and TOEFL's to applicants' files due to a system glitch. The process may take several more weeks to be completed. The APPLICATION STATUS page will be updated to reflect receipt of those scores when the program has run "

It seems to me that they haven't had decisions yet, and we will have to wait for 2-3 weeks before hearing from Columbia.

dactylonomist
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:56 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dactylonomist » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 pm

123456 wrote:Has anyone contacted any of the following pure math departments for status updates or general information about decisions timeline: Berkeley, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Michigan, Dartmouth?


Based on some email exchanges, it seems like Penn has made most of their decisions but hasn't started sending them out.

algebraicallyminded
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:37 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby algebraicallyminded » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Waiting for second round offers is very disturbing.
It is literally showing me how unprepared I am.
I am always talking to myself that I will make it into a good mathematician, but without any admission holding in my hand, learning mathematics is very difficult.

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 pm

algebraicallyminded wrote:Waiting for second round offers is very disturbing.
It is literally showing me how unprepared I am.
I am always talking to myself that I will make it into a good mathematician, but without any admission holding in my hand, learning mathematics is very difficult.

I've been completely unproductive this semester. It's been terrible. I'm so behind...

IfhhoteCannot
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IfhhoteCannot » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Penn sent out some admittances yesterday. My friend got one. He also got a phone call from them about 10 days ago that was a bit of an interview, feeling him out to see if he was still interested or had any better offers.

Rikimaru
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Rikimaru » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Gasquet wrote:
Manyfolds wrote:There should be an annual party on April 15th for those on this forum.


Some of us may not exactly be in a situation which warrants a party.

RealClosedField wrote:Anyone not hear back from UCLA yet? There seems to be a lot of rejects / acceptance on GC, but I still have no decision. And no message of a waitlist. Anyone else in the same position? Should I contact them?


I've not heard back from UCLA (applied). I don't recall seeing any admit on GC for UCLA that stated that it was for applied. Just a few rejections. If you do contact them, do post their response here.

I am on the same boat with regards to UCLA. I e-mailed like a week ago. Completely ignored my e-mail. Seeing as some of the UCLA admits in GC talk about a waitlist...I don't know what to think. I honestly thought they just threw away my application, or lost it or something haha

DiscreteGuy
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby DiscreteGuy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 pm

virgo wrote:
algebraicallyminded wrote:Waiting for second round offers is very disturbing.
It is literally showing me how unprepared I am.
I am always talking to myself that I will make it into a good mathematician, but without any admission holding in my hand, learning mathematics is very difficult.

I've been completely unproductive this semester. It's been terrible. I'm so behind...


I'm trying to use it as motivation, ya know? Like "Hey, I'm going to prove to myself right now that I deserve to go to grad school and get my PhD. And all those schools who denied me, well, they're going to regret it!"

I do agree though, this is a very trying process. Even after being informally rejected from Rutgers yesterday (my top choice), I somehow still believe that we will all end up where we deserve to end up. Best of luck, everyone!

1lovingsister
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:21 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby 1lovingsister » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:41 pm

IfhhoteCannot wrote:Penn sent out some admittances yesterday. My friend got one. He also got a phone call from them about 10 days ago that was a bit of an interview, feeling him out to see if he was still interested or had any better offers.


A friend of mine also received an acceptance from Penn last week.

wickerfurniture
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby wickerfurniture » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:53 pm

what i would do to get an acceptance in the inbox from UNC or Maryland tomorrow...

dangxing
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dangxing » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 am

waiting is killing me.
got seven and half rejections.
anyone else apply to applied math and any results?

coral
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby coral » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:12 am

dangxing wrote:waiting is killing me.
got seven and half rejections.
anyone else apply to applied math and any results?


I'm waiting on applied math decisions too, though at this point, just Columbia, Cornell, UMaryland, and Caltech. I was fortunate enough to receive an offer from a decent program. Which ones are you waiting for?

dangxing
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dangxing » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 am

coral wrote:
dangxing wrote:waiting is killing me.
got seven and half rejections.
anyone else apply to applied math and any results?


I'm waiting on applied math decisions too, though at this point, just Columbia, Cornell, UMaryland, and Caltech. I was fortunate enough to receive an offer from a decent program. Which ones are you waiting for?



you got an offer already? i apply a lot....

ajrasmus
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ajrasmus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 am

virgo wrote:For the other people accepted into UCSD, do you know whether we will get any news about funding or open house visits? My email was from the dean of graduate admissions and it didn't really include many details.


Any idea if this was part of the first wave of acceptances or was it a more informal offer? I do see two acceptances on grad cafe so far so that probably indicates there were quite a few more.

coral
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby coral » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 am

dangxing wrote:
coral wrote:
dangxing wrote:waiting is killing me.
got seven and half rejections.
anyone else apply to applied math and any results?


I'm waiting on applied math decisions too, though at this point, just Columbia, Cornell, UMaryland, and Caltech. I was fortunate enough to receive an offer from a decent program. Which ones are you waiting for?



you got an offer already? i apply a lot....


Yes, from Berkeley, they are not known as an applied department, but there's some interesting research going on there, and their financial package is decent as well. I was rejected from MIT, UCLA, and Brown, and I haven't heard from the programs I mentioned before...

dangxing
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dangxing » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:30 am

I'm waiting on applied math decisions too, though at this point, just Columbia, Cornell, UMaryland, and Caltech. I was fortunate enough to receive an offer from a decent program. Which ones are you waiting for?[/quote]


you got an offer already? i apply a lot....[/quote]

Yes, from Berkeley, they are not known as an applied department, but there's some interesting research going on there, and their financial package is decent as well. I was rejected from MIT, UCLA, and Brown, and I haven't heard from the programs I mentioned before...[/quote]


Big cong! where did u get ur undergraduate degree?

coral
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby coral » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:35 am

dangxing wrote: Big cong! where did u get ur undergraduate degree?

Thanks! I did my undergraduate in pure math in the U.S. at a top ivy. My gpa was mediocre though (3.6).

mindreader
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby mindreader » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 am

coral wrote:
dangxing wrote: Big cong! where did u get ur undergraduate degree?

Thanks! I did my undergraduate in pure math in the U.S. at a top ivy. My gpa was mediocre though (3.6).


I wonder why you got rejected by Brown since you did your undergrad at an Ivy. It's Brown DAM right?

I am also waiting for Cornell CAM and Columbia APAM although I got rejected by Brown DAM, my dream school :cry: fortunately I already have 1 admit so it wasn't too hard on me :D

frgf
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby frgf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:47 am

@ajrasmus

I got my acceptance at the exact same time (11:55pm california time) as virgo, and the email was really not informative, just boilerplate congratulations. So it was a formal admit. I have heard nothing from the maths department yet.

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:48 am

dangxing wrote:waiting is killing me.
got seven and half rejections.
anyone else apply to applied math and any results?


How do you get half a rejection?
How many places are you still waiting for and which?

I too have applied to applied math programs and am waiting to get in anywhere.
Got four rejections, Maryland didn't send me the 'second round' question, one application was left incomplete because of a problem with the recommendations. That makes it sex rejects, no admits.

coral
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby coral » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 am

mindreader wrote:
I wonder why you got rejected by Brown since you did your undergrad at an Ivy. It's Brown DAM right?

I am also waiting for Cornell CAM and Columbia APAM although I got rejected by Brown DAM, my dream school :cry: fortunately I already have 1 admit so it wasn't too hard on me :D


That's right, Brown DAM. And I'm not sure... maybe a fit issue, or maybe there were just stronger applicants than me. :) I decided late in the game that I was interested in applied math, so I didn't have much research experience (just a semester).

I'm also waiting for Cornell CAM and Columbia APAM. Columbia said my application was still in review and Cornell said they might have more information early March. I'm not sure, but I think that means they made first round offers already and are waiting to hear back from those people.

Anyways, good luck to you. :) Which school are you most keen on going to?

rmg512
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby rmg512 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:04 am

Just heard from UCI today. Seems like I got a so-so package: $17,655.00 – Teaching Assistantship, $14,280.00 – Fee Fellowship

mindreader
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby mindreader » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:04 am

coral wrote:
mindreader wrote:
I wonder why you got rejected by Brown since you did your undergrad at an Ivy. It's Brown DAM right?

I am also waiting for Cornell CAM and Columbia APAM although I got rejected by Brown DAM, my dream school :cry: fortunately I already have 1 admit so it wasn't too hard on me :D


That's right, Brown DAM. And I'm not sure... maybe a fit issue, or maybe there were just stronger applicants than me. :) I decided late in the game that I was interested in applied math, so I didn't have much research experience (just a semester).

I'm also waiting for Cornell CAM and Columbia APAM. Columbia said my application was still in review and Cornell said they might have more information early March. I'm not sure, but I think that means they made first round offers already and are waiting to hear back from those people.

Anyways, good luck to you. :) Which school are you most keen on going to?


I'm an international applicant and unfortunately, although my school is a top school in south east asia and ranked in the top 50 by QS, the math department is relatively new. I guess my biggest setback is that I haven't taken a lot of advanced math courses related to differential equations and probability (areas I hope to do research) simply because my school doesn't offer them, even at the graduate level! We do have ODE's PDE's, calculus based probability but courses like functional analysis, measure theory, are still in the works. My institution's PhD program is catered to research and so the courses offered are very general and I guess you learn the other stuff on your own.

From what I know Cornell has already sent a couple of admits. Manyfolds has gotten one. Did you contact Cornell about this?

As for Columbia APAM, I believe that they have yet to send out their offers.

Good luck to you too! :) I only applied to 4 PhD programs and 5 master programs as a back up plan. If I don't get accepted to Cornell, I will most likely attend Carnegie Mellon. If I hear from Columbia APAM and get rejected by Cornell, I might have to deliberate between CMU and Columbia. I'm not thinking about the master programs I applied to anymore since I've already gotten a PhD admit

What school are you most intent on attending?

coral
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby coral » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 am

mindreader wrote: I'm an international applicant and unfortunately, although my school is a top school in south east asia and ranked in the top 50 by QS, the math department is relatively new. I guess my biggest setback is that I haven't taken a lot of advanced math courses related to differential equations and probability (areas I hope to do research) simply because my school doesn't offer them, even at the graduate level! We do have ODE's PDE's, calculus based probability but courses like functional analysis, measure theory, are still in the works. My institution's PhD program is catered to research and so the courses offered are very general and I guess you learn the other stuff on your own.

From what I know Cornell has already sent a couple of admits. Manyfolds has gotten one. Did you contact Cornell about this?

As for Columbia APAM, I believe that they have yet to send out their offers.

Good luck to you too! :) I only applied to 4 PhD programs and 5 master programs as a back up plan. If I don't get accepted to Cornell, I will most likely attend Carnegie Mellon. If I hear from Columbia APAM and get rejected by Cornell, I might have to deliberate between CMU and Columbia. I'm not thinking about the master programs I applied to anymore since I've already gotten a PhD admit

What school are you most intent on attending?


Ah I see. I think in the class offering department, there's really no beating a top ivy. Between advanced undergrad and grad classes, I've taken Topology/Algebraic topology, differential/Riemannian geometry, Real analysis/measure theory, probability theory, etc, as well as some advanced algo classes cross listed with the comp sci department. Truly I feel very fortunate to be able to have had this kind of training. Definitely it would be much harder for you to have learned all this on your own than for me with all the support of a structured program, but I'm sure the admissions officers take this into consideration. And of course, it's tougher for you as an international, and that's really unfortunate, as I think a lot of international students are extremely hard working and well prepared for graduate study. I definitely think your best bets are private schools (which I see you've applied to/gotten into - CMU is great for applied math), as for public schools, funding internationals is definitely a more of an issue...

Yes, I've heard about Manyfolds' admission, based on my impression I thought he/she had a strong background, so definitely well deserved. I'm most interested in hearing back from Caltech, because of a specific research group that I'm interested in. Honestly I don't know if I would prefer Columbia to Berkeley, so it might end up being a choice between those two. Also I did ask Cornell, but their answer was kind of a vague "we are still deliberating, wait and see", so I don't really know what to make of it...




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests