Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
JacobiField
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby JacobiField » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 pm

marco wrote:I really think that next week is going to be crucial. I hope schools finally make their move and accept or reject their applicants.
I would really like to know my destiny :shock: .

I haven't been accepted anywhere yet. I'm afraid the end is near for me.

ajrasmus
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ajrasmus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:28 pm

UCSD shit show on grad cafe this morning...

IfhhoteCannot
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IfhhoteCannot » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks, UCSD, for waiting until 11:55 PST last night to send out rejections. I thought I was safe for the weekend!

Legendre
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:05 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Legendre » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Gasquet wrote:@Legendre: congrats.


mindreader wrote:congrats, it's about time!


JonMLTR wrote: Congratulations , that is a very nice offer, I am very happy for you.


Thanks! I was so surprised and ecstatic about this offer I got piss drunk last night. :oops:

I hope you get great offers as well.

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:35 pm

marco wrote:I really think that next week is going to be crucial. I hope schools finally make their move and accept or reject their applicants.
I would really like to know my destiny :shock: .


I have been thinking the same for the past five weeks. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that next week is going be crucial for me. More because it's now time to seriously think about what Plan B is.

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby marco » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:17 pm

My plan b would be:

1.- Engage in a research project as soon as possible and try to make a paper out of it. The topic would have to be on a subject that you would like to pursue in your PhD.
2.- Take a lot of graduate courses on your subject(s) of interest.
3.- Increment GRE scores, particularly the subject test.
4.- Target your prospective schools as soon as possible and try to contact the professors. Maybe send them some results of your past work.
4.- Think on the mistakes you made on last year's app. Don't repeat them. Based on your past experience try to make your application the best one possible.
5.- Apply again and hope for the best.

transfinite
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby transfinite » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:00 am

Gasquet wrote:@Legendre: congrats.

@Eowyn: You will become a legend on this site. 9/10 for an international applicant.

@UMD AMSC applicants: I think their admission strategy is one of the worst for a top 25 school. They have not send a single rejection till now, not even to the people who didn't get the further questions and I don't think they do so till April.

@transfinite(anyone else waiting to hear from UIC?): Another admit on GC for UIC. That too for applied math. And no word for me. Sigh.


I e-mailed the grad director at UIC Thursday night, and got an offer Friday morning. I did not post on GC.

ApplMathProfile
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ApplMathProfile » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:11 am

Edited
Last edited by ApplMathProfile on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IIIII
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IIIII » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 am

ApplMathProfile wrote:
Gasquet wrote:@transfinite(anyone else waiting to hear from UIC?): Another admit on GC for UIC. That too for applied math. And no word for me. Sigh.


I was the Applied Math admit on GC for UIC, btw. I will also most likely decline soon.

Ah, I see you have multiple admits. Do you already know where you're going? Congrats on getting into Courant, btw!

rmg512
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby rmg512 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:28 pm

UIUC apparently sent out some waitlist emails, though I didn't receive one. Did anyone here receive one today? Thanks!

Edit: Emailed Laugesen and he gave me an unofficial rejection. Sucks, man. :cry:
Last edited by rmg512 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Has anyone heard positively from Cornell? I'm thinking about emailing them if I don't get a response by the 15th.

JacobiField
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby JacobiField » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Another post from AMSC on GC...

cooltrainer
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby cooltrainer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:44 pm

JacobiField wrote:Another post from AMSC on GC...


I know. Now I am more convinced that I have a very low chance of being accepted. It is OK though.

IIIII
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IIIII » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:11 pm

cooltrainer wrote:
JacobiField wrote:Another post from AMSC on GC...


I know. Now I am more convinced that I have a very low chance of being accepted. It is OK though.


So far there are 5 listed admits on GC. 9 admits were listed last year. Of course the reporting rate can vary between years. Also the desired incoming class size can also change. Some post admits later than the receipt date. So I think it is still possible they will admit a couple more.

Yet, I don't think the chances are too good for those that have not received an admit yet. I'm still hoping for the best for the AMSC applicants on this site.

meredith
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby meredith » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Wait lists are the worst. Seriously.

On the 20th, I got an official (?) email from WUSTL about being wait listed. I replied and found out that I'm #5 on a 6 person wait list, and they may not hear back from their first round people until it's too late (i.e. April 15th). I'm starting to crack. It's bad.

And THAT is why this forum is a good thing for me. Because if I didn't have it, I would be worrying just as much, but would be emailing the department way too often. "How about now?... OK How about NOW?"

RicciFlow
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby RicciFlow » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am

Gasquet wrote:
marco wrote:I really think that next week is going to be crucial. I hope schools finally make their move and accept or reject their applicants.
I would really like to know my destiny :shock: .


I have been thinking the same for the past five weeks. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that next week is going be crucial for me. More because it's now time to seriously think about what Plan B is.


I'm not sure what your current plan B ideas are, but mine (and probably now more of a plan A) is to go to Boulder and put my foot in the door. I'm going to go and take a course as an "undecided" graduate student and knock some socks off and then get officially accepted in the the spring (if they allow it) or the next fall. After all if you know people it will make all the difference.

cjh
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby cjh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 am

meredith wrote:Wait lists are the worst. Seriously.

On the 20th, I got an official (?) email from WUSTL about being wait listed. I replied and found out that I'm #5 on a 6 person wait list, and they may not hear back from their first round people until it's too late (i.e. April 15th). I'm starting to crack. It's bad.

And THAT is why this forum is a good thing for me. Because if I didn't have it, I would be worrying just as much, but would be emailing the department way too often. "How about now?... OK How about NOW?"


You having any better luck with other schools in the area?

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:26 am

I want to know what people here think about sending an email to ask about your status. When is it acceptable to do so? How do you phrase this email without coming out as impatient and bothersome?

cjh
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby cjh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 am

Gasquet wrote:I want to know what people here think about sending an email to ask about your status. When is it acceptable to do so? How do you phrase this email without coming out as impatient and bothersome?

I just politely ask if they know when I can expect to hear back from them regarding admission. I figure one polite email really cannot be that annoying so long as you don't keep pressing for answers they do not have.

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:21 am

@cjh: thanks.

Band-aid ripped. Just mailed 5 (of the 8 ) places I am still to hear back from asking when I can expect a decision. Fingers crossed.

cjh
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby cjh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:36 am

No problem! Hope its good news when they get back to you!

lyndonbronjames
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby lyndonbronjames » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:45 am

IfhhoteCannot wrote:
Thomas wrote:Has anyone been accepted to Yale or Columbia pure math yet? I heard Columbia had some issues with identifying GRE scores to applicants because of a system glitch, but I haven't got an idea if the problem still exists.


Yale just had a visitor day with 7 admits. They may sent more if those decline (I have a couple friends who went). Columbia has at least one admit, though it may be unofficial (friend of a friend has been admitted). Wish I could say it was me.


Columbia is having their visit day this Friday. So yes, they have sent out at least a few admits.

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby marco » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:11 am

Gasquet wrote:@cjh: thanks.

Band-aid ripped. Just mailed 5 (of the 8 ) places I am still to hear back from asking when I can expect a decision. Fingers crossed.


Good luck Gasquet!

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby math_applicant » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:03 am

waitlisted by UIUC, not sure how far down the list though :?

PNT
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby PNT » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:08 am

Gasquet wrote:I want to know what people here think about sending an email to ask about your status. When is it acceptable to do so? How do you phrase this email without coming out as impatient and bothersome?

If you notice a school sending out decisions on GC, it's not at all inappropriate to email the grad director saying you noticed they have made some decisions and inquiring on your status. Just keep in mind that the grad director likely has 200+ applications to juggle so be patient.

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby math_applicant » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:07 am

a couple of Stony Brook admits (pure math) on GC, one of them was contacted directly by a poi. anyone knows if this means the first wave is out or not yet ? in other words, has anyone else heard from them and not announced it yet (either here or on GC) ? congrats to the admits if they are are on this forum :)

functor
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby functor » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:32 am

math_applicant wrote:a couple of Stony Brook admits (pure math) on GC, one of them was contacted directly by a poi. anyone knows if this means the first wave is out or not yet ? in other words, has anyone else heard from them and not announced it yet (either here or on GC) ? congrats to the admits if they are are on this forum :)


That was me. My guess is that it wasn't really a first wave, but that admits will probably be happening fairly soon. Good luck!

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby math_applicant » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:35 am

@functor, thanks!

rmg512
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby rmg512 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Is anyone here still yet to hear from Purdue? I'm curious if I should bug someone...

Thomas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Thomas » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:13 pm

lyndonbronjames wrote:
IfhhoteCannot wrote:
Thomas wrote:Has anyone been accepted to Yale or Columbia pure math yet? I heard Columbia had some issues with identifying GRE scores to applicants because of a system glitch, but I haven't got an idea if the problem still exists.


Yale just had a visitor day with 7 admits. They may sent more if those decline (I have a couple friends who went). Columbia has at least one admit, though it may be unofficial (friend of a friend has been admitted). Wish I could say it was me.


Columbia is having their visit day this Friday. So yes, they have sent out at least a few admits.


Thanks for the info.

I tried to contact Yale about my application but I faced an automated response. It seems that they don't take e-mails concerning these matters. :l

waiting512
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby waiting512 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Anyone think it's weird that Indiana hasn't admitted anyone yet? I am not sure that the one admit on there is real. At any rate the person is international. I think this is very late not to have admitted anyone.

winterman62
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby winterman62 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:48 pm

waiting512 wrote:Anyone think it's weird that Indiana hasn't admitted anyone yet? I am not sure that the one admit on there is real. At any rate the person is international. I think this is very late not to have admitted anyone.


You got that right! In previous years they admitted a lot of people before March, according to GC. Maybe we will hear from them this week!

atomspatz
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby atomspatz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:50 pm

A (domestic) classmate of mine was admitted to Indiana last week.

waiting512
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby waiting512 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Well, I'm sure that few people have been admitted then.

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:16 am

Gasquet wrote:Just mailed 5 (of the 8 ) places I am still to hear back from asking when I can expect a decision. Fingers crossed.


3 schools replied. Cornell CAM, UMD AMSC, UMN (Applied) all said early April. Looks like I still have a long wait to go before I know my fate. Sigh.

Is there anyone else who has not heard anything from UCLA?

On a similar note, Columbia APAM sent an (unprompted) email saying that "your application is under review"

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby marco » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 am

Early April? Wow that is a lot of more waiting to do :cry: . Thanks for the FYI Gasquet.

IIIII
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IIIII » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:09 am

On 22 Feb Indiana sent the following email to an undisclosed pool of applicants:

I wanted to let you know we are still in our initial review process and hope to have some decisions made in the next 2 weeks. As soon as I have more information, I will send out another e-mail. Thank you for your patience.


That was 11 days ago. I suspect we will see some more responses from Indiana this week.

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 am

marco wrote:Early April? Wow that is a lot of more waiting to do :cry: . Thanks for the FYI Gasquet.


It is way too long :(. But, I guess it was kind of expected. For the schools who have sent out initial offers, they will have to wait till those students accept/decline the offer before they can make more decisions. Of course it is terrible that some schools don't have an official wait-list and make everyone wait till final decisions are made.

On a related note, the standard message to those with multiple admits. If you have decided where you wish to go, please decline the other offers as early as possible out of consideration for your fellow applicants.

quark
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby quark » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:11 am

Got one rejection yesterday (Dartmouth which was expected) and one acceptance (UFlorida Gainesville). I am still going to wait to hear back from the others, but it's nice to know that I at least have some option even after screwing up the subject test.

randomposter
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby randomposter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23 am

Has anyone had any luck contacting the graduate director (or whomever) at UWashington or Wisconsin-Madison?

waiting512
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby waiting512 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 am

Yeah, Quark, I have only gotten accepted at UFL as well. Did you just get a TA?

transfinite
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby transfinite » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 pm

randomposter wrote:Has anyone had any luck contacting the graduate director (or whomever) at UWashington or Wisconsin-Madison?


I e-mailed the grad director at UW on Saturday to ask about my status. This is the reply that I got yesterday:

"Dear X,

Applications are still being reviewed. You should hear from us very soon.

Best regards,

Math Graduate Program"

quark
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby quark » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Pretty much. Now, if only the other 7 places that I've applied to would quickly make the decisions.

atomspatz
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby atomspatz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Gasquet wrote:Is there anyone else who has not heard anything from UCLA?


I haven't heard anything either.

rmg512
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby rmg512 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm

For UCLA, you can always check the decision status page. I'd be really surprised if they hadn't already made a decision on your application:

https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/Login.asp?topage=AdmissionStatus.asp

atomspatz
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby atomspatz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:25 pm

rmg512 wrote:For UCLA, you can always check the decision status page. I'd be really surprised if they hadn't already made a decision on your application:

https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/Login.asp?topage=AdmissionStatus.asp


Thanks for the link. I've been checking it compulsively for weeks, and still nothing.

Manyfolds
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Manyfolds » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Why don't you email their grad director. Seems like lots of schools are equating "waitlist" and not responding in either direction to candidates.

Rikimaru
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Rikimaru » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:02 pm

atomspatz wrote:
rmg512 wrote:For UCLA, you can always check the decision status page. I'd be really surprised if they hadn't already made a decision on your application:

https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/Login.asp?topage=AdmissionStatus.asp


Thanks for the link. I've been checking it compulsively for weeks, and still nothing.

You are not alone. I even emailed them. No response. Ever.

rmg512
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby rmg512 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:32 pm

More Purdue admits but not me... :(

I just emailed Rebecca Lank to see if she knows where I stand. I want to know my fate already... :?

Euler
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Euler » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Rikimaru wrote:
atomspatz wrote:
rmg512 wrote:For UCLA, you can always check the decision status page. I'd be really surprised if they hadn't already made a decision on your application:

https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/Login.asp?topage=AdmissionStatus.asp


Thanks for the link. I've been checking it compulsively for weeks, and still nothing.

You are not alone. I even emailed them. No response. Ever.



Hey man, why do not you email the grad chair? He is friendly




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], omhk and 2 guests