Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
atomspatz
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby atomspatz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 pm

I have not heard anything from Wisconsin.

dollar
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dollar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:05 pm

@IfhhoteCannot

I haven't heard anything from UW-Madison at all, no rejection , no waitlist, no acceptance.
I notice you were waitlisted on 2/22, was this prompted by your enquiry?

IfhhoteCannot
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IfhhoteCannot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:12 pm

I didn't contact them, but they sent me an email indicating I was on the waitlist. I thought it was strange that there were so many people on the admission results page with no info for Madison, even though they have clearly sent out numerous rejections as well as admissions, and now at least one waitlist. I wonder what they are up to.

ParsleyX
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ParsleyX » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Has anyone received funding information or their acceptance packet from CU Boulder?

IIIII
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IIIII » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:30 pm

ParsleyX wrote:Has anyone received funding information or their acceptance packet from CU Boulder?

Informal admit email. No word on funding yet.

algebraicallyminded
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:37 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby algebraicallyminded » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:33 pm

I called my friend in South Korea (where I am from) to ask back-up plan.
Some good master's programs there are not very hard to get in, and I think those are the best spots for me if I don't get any tickets from American PhD schools this year since it costs about 3k a semester in SK. It will also build me more background before starting a PhD program. Just hope that in one or two years my English skills won't dramatically decrease (esp. in terms of speaking).

Anyone in the same situation?

ParsleyX
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ParsleyX » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:35 pm

IIIII wrote:
ParsleyX wrote:Has anyone received funding information or their acceptance packet from CU Boulder?

Informal admit email. No word on funding yet.


Alright, cool. I just wanted to make sure things weren't lost in the mail or waiting on me for confirmation.

pooltr011
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby pooltr011 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Has anyone heard from Pitt yet?

generic_username
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby generic_username » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 pm

anyone going to UNC visitation days?

tvboomer
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby tvboomer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:00 pm

IIIII wrote:
ParsleyX wrote:Has anyone received funding information or their acceptance packet from CU Boulder?

Informal admit email. No word on funding yet.


I don't know if you guys are talking Applied or Pure Math, but I (Pure Math) did receive informal and official emails with acceptance. The informal email included a (confusing) description of the financial package. I am hoping to receive a more formal description of the offer in the mail, but haven't heard heads or tails about that happening.

ParsleyX
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ParsleyX » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:06 pm

tvboomer, I was (informally) accepted to CU Boulder's applied math program. I received a similar e-mail, basically that I was being considered for a "TA-ship and a commitment
of continued support", and that they would be in touch once everything was settled.

Hope we get our mail soon! It will make it feel real for me.

iAmAbelian
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby iAmAbelian » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Anyone admitted to Arizona State(pure or applied) hear anything about funding?

meredith
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby meredith » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I heard about funding about a week after I was admitted at ASU. I have a TAship.

winterman62
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby winterman62 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Does anyone know what is up with North Carolina State? I've seen acceptances and rejections on grad cafe, but when I checked the website, it just said that my app was submitted. Is there some sort of waitlist?

Also when I emailed the grad coordinator, there was no response :/

wickerfurniture
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby wickerfurniture » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:52 pm

winterman62 wrote:Does anyone know what is up with North Carolina State? I've seen acceptances and rejections on grad cafe, but when I checked the website, it just said that my app was submitted. Is there some sort of waitlist?

Also when I emailed the grad coordinator, there was no response :/


Yea I saw those rejections too and I'm in the same boat as you. My guess would be they're going through them by the date they were processed, and thinning it out by rejecting the ones they definitely don't want, accepting the ones they want, and keeping the middle out of the loop. Just a guess though.
Most of the acceptances actually happened before the deadline even passed or immediately after, so I'd be shocked if they didn't take some more.

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 am

We have had too many quiet days in a row now. One day left for the month. It feels kind of scary not having heard back from most of the places you applied to for an entire month since admission season started.

I just realised that it has been two and a half months since I submitted my application. That's a long time. What are all the admission committees doing?

Nr
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Nr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 am

Gasquet wrote:We have had too many quiet days in a row now. One day left for the month. It feels kind of scary not having heard back from most of the places you applied to for an entire month since admission season started.

I just realised that it has been two and a half months since I submitted my application. That's a long time. What are all the admission committees doing?


I couldn't agree more with you ...
And the interesting thing is they, themselves, said they will announce results in February.
They don't even listen to themselves.

y45askel
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby y45askel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:35 am

Anyone heard about funding from U Tennessee yet?

rmg512
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby rmg512 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:44 am

People who got into UIUC: Did they say when you have to report there by for TA job training and such?

I may have to miss an historic band reunion show in mid-July because I'll be moving to the midwest for grad school. :(

PNT
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby PNT » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 am

Got an acceptance, a wait list and a rejection today. Good spread :P

1lovingsister
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:21 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby 1lovingsister » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:00 am

rmg512 wrote:People who got into UIUC: Did they say when you have to report there by for TA job training and such?

I may have to miss an historic band reunion show in mid-July because I'll be moving to the midwest for grad school. :(


I think it depends on whether or not you'll be participating in their REGS Program. Personally, I plan to not only because of the experience and chance to start collaborating with faculty, but also because I'll be moving all the way from Hawaii and I want time to find housing and what not before school starts in the Fall. I'm sure you could just ask Dr. Laugesen or Karen Mortensen though.

IIIII
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby IIIII » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:10 am

PNT wrote:Got an acceptance, a wait list and a rejection today. Good spread :P

Congrats on the admit! Which schools sent you responses?

quark
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby quark » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:40 am

Applied to ~9 schools and haven't heard back from ANY of them. I just want to get it done with already. I have been preparing myself for taking an extra year to get some grad classes/independent studies, but it's still heartbreaking to not hear back from anyone. Maybe I overreached with my selection of schools. :cry:

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby marco » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:00 am

quark wrote:Applied to ~9 schools and haven't heard back from ANY of them. I just want to get it done with already. I have been preparing myself for taking an extra year to get some grad classes/independent studies, but it's still heartbreaking to not hear back from anyone. Maybe I overreached with my selection of schools. :cry:


Well don't lose hope completely, schools have been particularly late this year.

maffling
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby maffling » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am

I LOLed so hard at the post on GC that said MIT was their safety school.

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 pm

According to last years posts on GC and this site, it seems that there was a lot of movement on the last two days of Feb. Here's to another nervous day. Best of luck to everyone(well, actually, only those who are yet without an admit :P ).

generic_username
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby generic_username » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:22 pm

emailed Dr. Laugesen to ask about UIUC status. said i'm near to top of the wait list.

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby math_applicant » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 pm

generic_username wrote:emailed Dr. Laugesen to ask about UIUC status. said i'm near to top of the wait list.


so they already sent out their first wave ?

generic_username
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby generic_username » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:25 pm

math_applicant wrote:
generic_username wrote:emailed Dr. Laugesen to ask about UIUC status. said i'm near to top of the wait list.


so they already sent out their first wave ?


Yes, that was what was implied.

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby math_applicant » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:28 pm

@generic_username, thanks! good luck!

generic_username
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby generic_username » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:28 pm

math_applicant wrote:@generic_username, thanks! good luck!


thank you. you too.

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby marco » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:35 pm

generic_username wrote:
math_applicant wrote:
generic_username wrote:emailed Dr. Laugesen to ask about UIUC status. said i'm near to top of the wait list.


so they already sent out their first wave ?


Yes, that was what was implied.


They already sent the first wave? There are only like two acceptance posts on GC no?

generic_username
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby generic_username » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Only two recent acceptances on GC. 7 on the year so far

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby marco » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:41 pm

generic_username wrote:Only two recent acceptances on GC. 7 on the year so far


Oh yeah thats true. Well good luck to everyone who applied there.

JacobiField
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby JacobiField » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Still nothing from AMSC, and it's been almost two weeks since I submitted my supplement. I'm getting a bit antsy. Do you think they already sent out all their first round offers?

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby marco » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm

JacobiField wrote:Still nothing from AMSC, and it's been almost two weeks since I submitted my supplement. I'm getting a bit antsy. Do you think they already sent out all their first round offers?


Same thing here. And yeah I think that it's possible...

wickerfurniture
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby wickerfurniture » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 pm

marco wrote:
JacobiField wrote:Still nothing from AMSC, and it's been almost two weeks since I submitted my supplement. I'm getting a bit antsy. Do you think they already sent out all their first round offers?


Same thing here. And yeah I think that it's possible...


anyone try emailing/calling them? i probably will tomorrow if I don't hear anything.

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby marco » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:
marco wrote:
JacobiField wrote:Still nothing from AMSC, and it's been almost two weeks since I submitted my supplement. I'm getting a bit antsy. Do you think they already sent out all their first round offers?


Same thing here. And yeah I think that it's possible...


anyone try emailing/calling them? i probably will tomorrow if I don't hear anything.


I have been giving it some serious thought but have not decided to actually do it.

JacobiField
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby JacobiField » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 pm

marco wrote:Same thing here. And yeah I think that it's possible...


Strange that only three people post accepted on GC.

marco
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby marco » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:24 pm

JacobiField wrote:
marco wrote:Same thing here. And yeah I think that it's possible...


Strange that only three people post accepted on GC.


Yeah, that is what makes me think that there is still some chance.

math_applicant
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby math_applicant » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:28 pm

marco wrote:
generic_username wrote:Only two recent acceptances on GC. 7 on the year so far


Oh yeah thats true. Well good luck to everyone who applied there.


Thanks marco! Hopefully, it means that the first wave has been decided but not yet sent out, and probably those already notified were those who got additional fellowships. any counter examples ? (someone who got official letter of admission from UIUC but without fellowship).

generic_username
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby generic_username » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:33 pm

michigan rejects out

longtm1989
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby longtm1989 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 pm

generic_username wrote:michigan rejects out


Yes, it makes sense. I got an email on Feb 6 saying that the first wave of admissions will be out later this month. Hope that they will send some acceptances too.

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:28 pm

This thread is getting too fast to follow. Does anyone know if Nr heard anything back from UIUC? I'm really rooting for him! I'm rooting for all of you, but especially him because he's doing this for the second time.

1lovingsister
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:21 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby 1lovingsister » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:34 pm

virgo wrote:This thread is getting too fast to follow. Does anyone know if Nr heard anything back from UIUC? I'm really rooting for him! I'm rooting for all of you, but especially him because he's doing this for the second time.


I don't think so. I've been waiting for him to get his acceptance, too!

1lovingsister
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:21 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby 1lovingsister » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Looks like Caltech's first rejection is up on grad cafe. Oh gosh. Just give me mine quick, please. :?

Nr
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Nr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 pm

virgo wrote:This thread is getting too fast to follow. Does anyone know if Nr heard anything back from UIUC? I'm really rooting for him! I'm rooting for all of you, but especially him because he's doing this for the second time.


Hi, what's up everyone ???

Thank you Virgo for worrying so much about me.
Well, I finally asked Prof. Laugesen what's going on ...
and ...
I'm out ...

Yeah, I didn't do it again ...
Pool story stuff again

That's it for me then ...
Obviously I won't try again next year, so I have no idea what I'm going to do right now ...
but anyway
I wanted to thank you all guys for being so nice ...
I had a lot of fun here !!!

I wish everyone who did it an awesome time in grad school
And those who didn't do it an awesomeR game plan :D

I'm out ...
BYEBYE

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Nr wrote:
virgo wrote:This thread is getting too fast to follow. Does anyone know if Nr heard anything back from UIUC? I'm really rooting for him! I'm rooting for all of you, but especially him because he's doing this for the second time.


Hi, what's up everyone ???

Thank you Virgo for worrying so much about me.
Well, I finally asked Prof. Laugesen what's going on ...
and ...
I'm out ...

Yeah, I didn't do it again ...
Pool story stuff again

That's it for me then ...
Obviously I won't try again next year, so I have no idea what I'm going to do right now ...
but anyway
I wanted to thank you all guys for being so nice ...
I had a lot of fun here !!!

I wish everyone who did it an awesome time in grad school
And those who didn't do it an awesomeR game plan :D

I'm out ...
BYEBYE

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm sorry. What are your plans now? Are you currently attending a uni? I saw that you got into a couple last year. I know they're not your top choices but it's still something. I wish I could give you one of my admits :cry: .

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:00 pm

@Nr: so sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you for everything to come.

Today is building up to be a really busy day. 50 posts on GC so far. Now to convince myself not to stay awake the entire night refreshing(Asia, Time difference)

virgo
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Postby virgo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 pm

Did anyone from here hear anything from Michigan? I just want to confirm that the rejects are not fake.




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mlb, regularitylemma and 7 guests