Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
atomspatz

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by atomspatz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:26 pm

math_applicant wrote:Anyone knows when Duke (pure math) is going to spell out their second round decisions/rejections ? did they have their open house already ?
The open house is this weekend. I don't know about the second round.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:41 pm

atomspatz wrote:
math_applicant wrote:Anyone knows when Duke (pure math) is going to spell out their second round decisions/rejections ? did they have their open house already ?
The open house is this weekend. I don't know about the second round.
Thanks! by the way, I noticed you have been admitted to Duke and UIUC, the 2 schools I am waiting on, what a coincidence :D congrats on the admits.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:07 pm

I find it really weird that schools hold their open house events towards the end of March while it is expected to be an opportunity for students to make up their minds about the school. First, it gives very little time for students to decide/change their minds before April 15th. Second, it does a lot of harm to students on the waitlist who won't probably hear back till very late. Third, there is an implicit assumption that waitlisted students don't need to visit the school. In fact, some schools might not make offers to others on the waitlist if someone decline their admit on April 15th for instance. some (most ?) schools don't even let you know your place on the waitlist, keeping you hanging by a thread. Man, that really sucks!

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:37 pm

math_applicant wrote:I find it really weird that schools hold their open house events towards the end of March while it is expected to be an opportunity for students to make up their minds about the school. First, it gives very little time for students to decide/change their minds before April 15th. Second, it does a lot of harm to students on the waitlist who won't probably hear back till very late. Third, there is an implicit assumption that waitlisted students don't need to visit the school. In fact, some schools might not make offers to others on the waitlist if someone decline their admit on April 15th for instance. some (most ?) schools don't even let you know your place on the waitlist, keeping you hanging by a thread. Man, that really sucks!
totally agree

nchar

Post by nchar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Has anyone who did applying to Caltech ACM not hear back from the department yet? I email the grad office but there is no response...

atomspatz

Post by atomspatz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:07 pm

To those who have not heard from Wisconsin: Can you access your application status? Mine is suddenly unavailable.

mathgirl16

Post by mathgirl16 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:17 am

Anyone hear from Michigan State University? When I checked my status this morning the place where it said my application was out to the department is now blank. I'm applying for the Masters program.

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:11 pm

UCLA vs NYU for analysis & PDE, and more generally for departmental vibe. Any help appreciated.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Manyfolds wrote:UCLA vs NYU for analysis & PDE, and more generally for departmental vibe. Any help appreciated.
hi manyfolds, I am curious, have you declined your offer from cornell CAM?

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:36 pm

has anyone filed taxes and put in all of the crap we had to pay (app fees, tests, sending tests, etc.)

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:37 pm

I messaged you mindreader.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Manyfolds wrote:I messaged you mindreader.
I am curious too and I would greatly appreciate your information and kindness.

IIes

Post by IIes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:03 pm

How many pals think that the decision game here will be following us in another form sooner or later such as when you are looking for a marriage partner(if you are single, of course)?

Will you prefer the one that gives you attention and wants you or will you pursue another which is taking time to decide whether to take you or not or who waitlisted you? :mrgreen:

winterman62

Post by winterman62 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:54 pm

IIes wrote:How many pals think that the decision game here will be following us in another form sooner or later such as when you are looking for a marriage partner(if you are single, of course)?

Will you prefer the one that gives you attention and wants you or will you pursue another which is taking time to decide whether to take you or not or who waitlisted you? :mrgreen:
Haha I was thinking this exact same thing earlier! Personally I would like the one that gives me more attention. It feels nice to be cared about

qbranch

Post by qbranch » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:24 pm

IIes wrote:How many pals think that the decision game here will be following us in another form sooner or later such as when you are looking for a marriage partner(if you are single, of course)?

Would you rather be the reacher or the settler?

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:37 am

qbranch wrote:

Would you rather be the reacher or the settler?
If you got waitlisted at a good school, wouldn't you rather reach out to them even though a lower ranked school has already reached out to you?

longtm1989

Post by longtm1989 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 am

Haven't heard rejections from Northwestern, Columbia and Michigan pure math. I emailed Northwestern and Columbia a week ago, and they told me that my application is still under consideration, but it's a very long shot. Northwestern said that decisions will be out by the end of this month, hope that they will send them soon. Columbia, no reply at all. Don't know what they are doing.

IIes

Post by IIes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:41 am

Cool points have been made. As long as we choose what makes us happy and leave other spots for pals who will be happy to get the position, it should not matter less how we get there. Being wait listed just means there were more qualified applicants. I think most of us here are reachers in our academic choices though our social life might be completely different?

qbranch

Post by qbranch » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Is/Was anyone else in this situation:

I'm doing a master's at my institution and am now trying to get admitted to the Ph.D. program here. As a grad student, I got the mass email today about helping out with visit weekend.

tajohans

Post by tajohans » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:31 pm

I was just waitlisted for Carnegie Mellon's ACO program, my top choice! Both my admits (Toronto and a Swedish uni) expect a decision before April 1st, which puts me in a pretty crappy situation. Hopefully I can ask for an extension, but for what it's worth: If you're accepted to CMU's ACO program and don't plan to attend, you know what to do.

cpmoni

Post by cpmoni » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 pm

tajohans wrote:I was just waitlisted for Carnegie Mellon's ACO program, my top choice!
That program is the only one I haven't heard from yet. How did you find out you were waitlisted?

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 am

The last time I emailed NYU Courant, I was told that decisions would be made by mid-March. So, sent another email and got a huge automated response, part of which was
We regret that, due to staff limitations, the electronic mail address "admissions@math.nyu.edu" cannot be used for information about the status of individual applications or to answer individual questions.
There's also an admit on GC today.

jhpark0304

Post by jhpark0304 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:47 am

Gasquet wrote:The last time I emailed NYU Courant, I was told that decisions would be made by mid-March. So, sent another email and got a huge automated response, part of which was
We regret that, due to staff limitations, the electronic mail address "admissions@math.nyu.edu" cannot be used for information about the status of individual applications or to answer individual questions.
Thank you for the update. It's already end of March and we should hear something from them. Hundreds of applicants still haven't heard back. I have no idea what they are doing :(

tajohans

Post by tajohans » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:25 am

cpmoni wrote:
tajohans wrote:I was just waitlisted for Carnegie Mellon's ACO program, my top choice!
That program is the only one I haven't heard from yet. How did you find out you were waitlisted?
I received an email from the grad director, which said I am "on a short waiting list of students for admission". I did ask about my status a couple of weeks ago, but he made no reference to my question so I don't think this was in reply to that.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 am

cpmoni wrote:
I haven't heard from them either. I guess its hopeless now.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:34 am

Gasquet wrote:The last time I emailed NYU Courant, I was told that decisions would be made by mid-March. So, sent another email and got a huge automated response, part of which was
Despite the automated response, they did reply. They said that several offers have been made and they will "likely be making a few more", all before April 15. Further, they won't inform anyone about the standing of their application by an email exchange like this.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 am

I wonder if any of the people on the UIUC waitlist (pure math, international students) have heard back yet.

Sorry for asking this question frequently, would really appreciate any info around!

number9

Post by number9 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 am

math_applicant wrote:I wonder if any of the people on the UIUC waitlist (pure math, international students) have heard back yet.

Sorry for asking this question frequently, would really appreciate any info around!
I was accepted off the waitlist at the end of last week. The grad director had emailed me about a week before that saying they hadn't made any moves up to that point. Hope that helps!

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 am

Well, at least we know where to buy Prada handbags or how to make jewelry with beads.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:13 am

number9 wrote:
math_applicant wrote:I wonder if any of the people on the UIUC waitlist (pure math, international students) have heard back yet.

I was accepted off the waitlist at the end of last week. The grad director had emailed me about a week before that saying they hadn't made any moves up to that point. Hope that helps!
Thanks a lot and congrats! are you an international student ? and do you know whether there are going to be any more moves soon ?

jhpark0304

Post by jhpark0304 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:34 am

Gasquet wrote:
Despite the automated response, they did reply. They said that several offers have been made and they will "likely be making a few more", all before April 15. Further, they won't inform anyone about the standing of their application by an email exchange like this.
I have a question: by 'a few more', do you think they mean 'funded offers'? I'm confused since there have been many PhD admissions without funding in previous years.
Last edited by jhpark0304 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

number9

Post by number9 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40 am

math_applicant wrote:
number9 wrote:

Thanks a lot and congrats! are you an international student ? and do you know whether there are going to be any more moves soon ?

Thanks! No, I'm American, and I'm not sure what their plans are. The email I got didn't mention anything else, although I do know that the visit weekend is this weekend, so maybe after that? That's just speculation though.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am

jhpark0304 wrote:I have a question: by 'a few more', do you think they mean 'funded offers'? I'm confused since there have been many PhD admissions without funding in previous years.
They do mean funded offers. Their exact words were "Our Fellowship Committee has made a number of offers to our PhD program already but likely will be making a few more."

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 am

number9 wrote: Thanks! No, I'm American, and I'm not sure what their plans are. The email I got didn't mention anything else, although I do know that the visit weekend is this weekend, so maybe after that? That's just speculation though.
Thanks a lot! and congrats again!

jhpark0304

Post by jhpark0304 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 am

Gasquet wrote:
jhpark0304 wrote:I have a question: by 'a few more', do you think they mean 'funded offers'? I'm confused since there have been many PhD admissions without funding in previous years.
They do mean funded offers. Their exact words were "Our Fellowship Committee has made a number of offers to our PhD program already but likely will be making a few more."
Thanks Gasquet. They make us really nervous. Wish you best of luck!
And let's see what happens :shock:

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:08 am

Gasquet wrote:
About the possible admissions into NYU Courant, I really do not know much whether the next few offers that they have promised to send will be funded or not, but something just occurred to me... so I'm sharing it here... hope this helps.

In the offer letter that they had sent me, they had mentioned something of the sort "Out of 400 applicants every year, we hope to admit about a dozen fully funded students". I do not know whether this is something fancy they add to the offer letter just to make the admitted people feel good, but just in case this is indeed true, then I guess as and when people turn down the offers, the admissions committee sends the next person on their preference list the acceptance notification. So hopefully all the offers that they plan to send will be funded offers... but if they have a stringent upper bound on the number of admits, then some people may not be aided with full funding.

maffling

Post by maffling » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:50 pm

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

come on fhqwhgads!!!!!!

arxndo

Post by arxndo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 am

Gasquet wrote:
mindreader wrote:
Gasquet wrote:@arxndo: If you do not plan to go to Cornell(since you have already got in NYU CAOS), please inform them as early as possible.
my dear friend, i guess it's not nice to pressure arxndo to make his decision regarding cornell ASAP. it's a nice gesture of him to do so but it's unfair to impose it on him. i understand the agony of waiting to hear from Cornell CAM as I am in the same boat as you but arxndo can choose to wait till the deadline if he wants. :)
I didn't mean to pressure him into making a decision. I guess I didn't word it very well. What I meant was if he wanted to go to NYU, it would be nice if he informed Cornell that he doesn't intend to go there. A similar hypothetical, had I gotten into Princeton PACM, I would probably have withdrawn my other applications.
Sorry for being MIA here. I've been busy visiting schools. I'll be making some real decisions real soon.

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Got an response from michigan state this morning regarding my application status. They said they are still reading applications and won't send any decisions out until April. The email I got though made it sound like I might not get in.

dangxing

Post by dangxing » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Called the Duke math department to leave a note to director to ask the status. Replied "your application is in consideration. But no decision has been made. " So disappointed. I don't mind they give me a rejection. But they never reply my email and never tell me any information. I ask for the status since I have another offer need to decide. They already have the recruiting weekend and it seems that they almost will not admit any more, yet they still don't tell me anything.

DizzyCow

Post by DizzyCow » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 am

Rejected from pure math at Waterloo, definitely makes me worried about McGill and Toronto.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm

This process is so cruel. There are a couple of Stony Brook AMS rejects on GC. Both admits and unfunded admits have been given. I still have no response. Further, they don't even reply to emails. What is this supposed to mean?

Further Courant, UCLA, UMN, UIC and UMD have still left me hanging(all applied). Screw math, I think I should ask these schools to hire me as a consultant to help manage their admission process.

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm not gonna say it's not annoying that places haven't been transparent but my experience with professors is that they have so much administrative work to do, with meetings, grant, managing people, etc. that with that plus teaching they have trouble finding time to work on their primary responsibility which is research. I can kind of see where they're coming from not responding to emails on an extremely timely basis/making decisions quickly. From a societal level, I'd much rather them make the right decision and take some time than make the wrong ones instantaneously.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:I'm not gonna say it's not annoying that places haven't been transparent but my experience with professors is that they have so much administrative work to do, with meetings, grant, managing people, etc. that with that plus teaching they have trouble finding time to work on their primary responsibility which is research. I can kind of see where they're coming from not responding to emails on an extremely timely basis/making decisions quickly. From a societal level, I'd much rather them make the right decision and take some time than make the wrong ones instantaneously.
My primary issue is not that they don't respond to emails. My point is that a situation where a student has to email to inquire what is going on should not happen so often. Every school should set a clear(realistic, not overestimated) date by which they will send their first offers and keep it on their site. As time goes by, this can be changed on the site itself if needed. With first offers, they should send the others either a wait-list or a rejection. Every school has at least an unofficial wait-list. It's not like once the first round people decline, they sort through all the other applications again. Further, everyone should be informed. Most schools don't tell you that you are wait-listed till you send them an email. Many don't send any rejections till April. Why leave everyone hanging?

Take UCLA for example. They have one of the best admission policies I have seen. They inform almost everyone very early on about their status. But still several of us were not told anything. Upon email they said that whoever didn't hear back is wait-listed. Since they have officially informed several people about the WL(and several about rejections), why not just inform everyone about it?

Frankly, I don't like hearing that professors have too much work to deal with admissions. We pay them a good amount of money for our application. It is thus their(school administration + professors) duty to keep us informed. The only reason they get so many email inquiries is because they don't tell us anything about what is going on. If we were better informed, they would be getting less than a tenth of the admission-related emails they get right now.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm

I guess the general scenario is the following:

I also have not heard heard further from UMD, UMN, Duke and Courant. I know that at least the first three schools have made some offers and some schools have even made some rejections. To those of us who have not heard anything yet, we will probably hear some more news as soon as the applicants in the first round of offers start making decisions. Depending on the decisions made by the applicants there could be a second round of offers or not. All we can do right now is wait, the way I see it we would probably hear form most by the end of next week. The whole situation does kind of suck, but it is what it is. It will soon be over though, very soon.

ReneMagritte

Post by ReneMagritte » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Eowyn wrote:In the offer letter that they had sent me, they had mentioned something of the sort "Out of 400 applicants every year, we hope to admit about a dozen fully funded students". I do not know whether this is something fancy they add to the offer letter just to make the admitted people feel good, but just in case this is indeed true, then I guess as and when people turn down the offers, the admissions committee sends the next person on their preference list the acceptance notification. So hopefully all the offers that they plan to send will be funded offers... but if they have a stringent upper bound on the number of admits, then some people may not be aided with full funding.
I don't think that's how it generally works though. Typically, departments offer admission to more students than they intend to enroll. They do this as a certain percentage will always decline. Then, when these students do inevitably decline, they don't need to start again with new offers, visit days, etc.

For this reason, I think people saying "I've been wait-listed, if you don't plan to accept please reject now" and, even worse, people responding with "I've just turned my offer down; hopefully you'll get an offer now" is often misguided, and generates false hope. I would say in most cases, people turning down an offer does not generate a new offer for someone else. The fact that people on wait-lists are generally "strongly encouraged" to accept whatever they have rather than hold out supports this.

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm

I don't think that is accurate actually, because every single time I've turned down offers I have been thanked by the graduate committee and been told that I've freed up room for other people to get admitted.

ReneMagritte

Post by ReneMagritte » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Really? I'm surprised! :)

Have you decided on NYU versus UCLA?!

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Nah, can't decide. You have any opinions?

Lin_Feng

Post by Lin_Feng » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Manyfolds wrote:Nah, can't decide. You have any opinions?
Choose UCLA. I didn't apply there, but I applied to NYU (and they haven't rejected me yet). :)