What should I do with a 460 subject score?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ParsleyX

What should I do with a 460 subject score?

Post by ParsleyX » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:43 pm

I had only decided to sign up two months before the test date, so I didn't have much time to study.

On test day I only answered 37 questions, and it looks like I got most of them wrong. My score was sent to two reach schools, a good match, and a safety.

I think it's hilarious to hear people complaining about scoring in the 70th percentile, and not even acknowledging numbers below 60. I scored an order of magnitude lower (6%), so I'm not sure what others will infer about my abilities.

I have a fantastic professional and academic record, and (presumably) strong letters of recommendation. What's the proper tact to take with this result? Should I voluntarily send this to any other program?

EDIT: I should mention that I'm applying to Applied Math programs. Does that make anything better?

IIIII

Re: What should I do with a 460 subject score?

Post by IIIII » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:38 pm

ParsleyX wrote:I had only decided to sign up two months before the test date, so I didn't have much time to study.

On test day I only answered 37 questions, and it looks like I got most of them wrong. My score was sent to two reach schools, a good match, and a safety.

I think it's hilarious to hear people complaining about scoring in the 70th percentile, and not even acknowledging numbers below 60. I scored an order of magnitude lower (6%), so I'm not sure what others will infer about my abilities.

I have a fantastic professional and academic record, and (presumably) strong letters of recommendation. What's the proper tact to take with this result? Should I voluntarily send this to any other program?

EDIT: I should mention that I'm applying to Applied Math programs. Does that make anything better?
To be honest, it would be wisest not to send them. There are many schools that do not require you to send the Math GRE. Apply to those. Make sure to write a compelling personal statement. Good luck whatever you do.