Support your CV

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
korean

Support your CV

Post by korean » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Let's say that your CV includes awards and
distinctions. How it works?

They believe you, and in cases they do not
believe you then they ask for the documents?

Or whatever you write if is it not supported by evidence
is not considered when they review you application?
(I am talking about things such as participating in
a conference or a Medal in IMO etc.)

waiting512

Re: Support your CV

Post by waiting512 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm

They probably will not ask you for supporting documents. To be honest, it is very unlikely that the awards you receive will merit your admission, unless of course it is a prestigious award. If the latter is the case, then it will be easily verifiable by finding a list of said winner on the internet, etc. So, I think you should list all of your awards and not worry about documentation.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:27 pm

1) They will most likely not ask for documentation/evidence.

2) You would want to have dcoumentation/evidence for all the awards/distinctions you state on your CV.

Point 2 is very important for your career in academia because if one day anyone asks to see proof and you can't provide it, it does not bode well for your professional reputation/credibility. You should make sure that you have a letter or some evidence with you for every award stated on the CV, not just the possibility of asking the awarding institution.

E.g. I won a competitive and substantial scholarship that I turned down. The institute is unlikely to remember or keep official records of those who turned down their scholarships. So, I have kept the awarding letter (with official letterhead) with me as proof.

korean

Post by korean » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Providing supporting documents which are not in english takes
much time and effort (suggest a translation etc.). Thus being able
to provide it and provide it is a whole different story.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:54 pm

korean wrote:Providing supporting documents which are not in english takes
much time and effort (suggest a translation etc.). Thus being able
to provide it and provide it is a whole different story.
Regardless of the "story", if you claim to your employer that you have X awards/distinctions, it is your responsibility to prove it if needed to.

Imagine that you are an employer and someone applies to your job claiming to have won numerous scholarships and research prizes, but he cannot produce supporting documents and will not because it takes much time and effort to arrange for a translation. Would you....take his word for it?! :D

However...

You do not have to have the supporting documents ready by the PhD program's application deadline. There is a high possibility that you will not be required to provide them.

What you can do is to start getting your supporting documents in order right away. Take as much time as you need. This is important, and will come back to haunt you again and again as long as you plan to do research and/or apply for academic positions in the western/English-speaking world.

Its your career, don't be lazy about it. :)

P.S.
I have always been careful to requests for documents and keep a file with copies + scanned backups online for every award and scholarship I have won. There was one minor scholarship that I couldn't get documents for because the institute closed down, and I left it out of my CV. :?

king_cobra1212

Post by king_cobra1212 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:14 am

Legendre wrote:1) They will most likely not ask for documentation/evidence.

2) You would want to have dcoumentation/evidence for all the awards/distinctions you state on your CV.

Point 2 is very important for your career in academia because if one day anyone asks to see proof and you can't provide it, it does not bode well for your professional reputation/credibility. You should make sure that you have a letter or some evidence with you for every award stated on the CV, not just the possibility of asking the awarding institution.

E.g. I won a competitive and substantial scholarship that I turned down. The institute is unlikely to remember or keep official records of those who turned down their scholarships. So, I have kept the awarding letter (with official letterhead) with me as proof.
Well i think "legendre" is correct . We have documentation in our hands for providing proff to anyone.