Does a great subject test score have much impact?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Legendre

Does a great subject test score have much impact?

Post by Legendre » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:48 am

I just found out that I scored 900/97%! Although I was expecting >80 percentile, this was much better than I thought.

I have a question: Is this going to open up more options? Or business as usual? Should I try applying to 1-2 competitive/"reach" places?

dexter

Re: Does a great subject test score have much impact?

Post by dexter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:12 am

No, it's just business as usual... Actually I find it hard to believe you might think that.

More seriously, it will surely draw attention to your application. Whether the rest of your application can capitalize on this is up to you to decide.

And of course, congrats!

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:49 am

dexter wrote:No, it's just business as usual... Actually I find it hard to believe you might think that.

More seriously, it will surely draw attention to your application. Whether the rest of your application can capitalize on this is up to you to decide.

And of course, congrats!
Thanks. I hope you did well too.

I was just checking in case I sell myself short again. Every time I make an application I am nudged by friends into applying to places that I was sure I have no chance at....and get positive results. After a while, I become quite paranoid. :lol:

Good point about drawing attention to my application though.

vonLipwig

Post by vonLipwig » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:31 pm

It's not the most important part of your application (that would be qualifications and letters of rec), but it's certainly a plus. Good job =)